A little item the "Gunny" gave me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
While I spent a little time with the Gunny,, at SHOT,, we discussed a few things. As I was about to leave,, he went to shake my hand & slipped me something when he did. It was this medallion. Anybody else got one?

ebayboxes001.jpg

HIVO

Single-Sixer
What an AWESOME keepsake!!! That is cool! To answer your question, no I do not have one :cry:
HIVO

That is great.
For what it's worth that is called a Challenge Coin. A big thing in the Marine Corps and Navy. My son and Daughter also have Command Coins.
My Son got one from Chief Of Naval Operations. When you are challanged at the bar the guy with the highest ranking coin wins and gets free beer. Or somthing like that
Yes given in friendship or a Command Coin is given for an accomplishment.
They are given with a handshake.
Jim

RonEgg

Blackhawk
All after my time. My son had them and I showed my ignorance the first time I was exposed to them. There are a couple organizations that I wish I had them from.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I was in the Army,, there were VERY few "challenge" coins around. Now,, I've seen all kinds of them in different branches of the military,,, and even police depts.
Still I thought it was cool that the Gunny gave me one.

contender":2kx47c05 said:
When I was in the Army,, there were VERY few "challenge" coins around. Now,, I've seen all kinds of them in different branches of the military,,, and even police depts.
Still I thought it was cool that the Gunny gave me one.

Hey Ty,
Wasn't just being in the Army Challenge enough? :lol:

Sorry just couldn't hold back :oops:
Ya got a great coin there for sure
Jim

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim,, it was a "challenge" for sure. Just after 'nam,, and we had a lot of folks pushing the "new Army" I saw a lot of things I felt were "wrong" but hey,, what the heck did I know?
Yes,, I like the "coin" the Gunny gave me,, even though I don't own any Glocks.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Glock074.jpg

I met R. Lee Ermey at the IACP Conferences the last three years (New Orleans, San Diego, and Denver). At the San Diego Conference, he shook my hand and slipped me one of the big, heavy pewter challenge coins and whispered, "I don't give these out to everyone, so keep it under your hat."

I will treasure it always, as I'm sure you will treasure yours. They are quite rare. Glock nuts want them badly.

On a side note, I must tell a story about meeting Ermey in New Orleans:

There was a very, very, very attractive Mexican woman in front of me in line to meet Ermey. She was with two Mexican men with a particular company and she did not speak English.

Ermey was very personable to them, asked the one gent who spoke English where they were from in Mexico, and took photos with them.

Did I mention that the woman was extremely attractive? As she walked away and I stepped up to meet Ermey, he grabbed my hand, pulled me in close, and looked to his left as the woman walked away.

His eyes were fixed below her waist and he quietly said to me, "If all of them trying to sneak across the border looked like her, we really wouldn't complain, would we?"

That's one of the funniest, most un-politically correct things I've ever heard! Absolutely perfect coming from the Gunny!

contender

Ruger Guru
:D :D
I could see him doing that!!!!
I too noticed a lot of "foreigners" in line to meet the Gunny. Orientials were the most common visitors,, and loved to snap pics!

Latest posts