A little help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
flattop.jpg

What am I gonna dowith this as it is too nice to shoot. My camera was at the bottom of the Salmon River a month ago so the pics aren't so good. How can I tell if this has any value as a collectable Ruger? Should I just use it and not be concerned? Any help here is surely appreciated.
Chief aka Maxx Load

Chance

Buckeye
Probably not worth messin' with Chief, I'd be happy to take care of it for ya.

Seriously, there weren't a lot of those RSS4s produced. Nice find. What's the serial #?

Chief 101

Hunter
I am not a collector and don't want to invest in firearms that I can't shoot. This is a .357 Flat Top serial #30040, probably not that rare but condition wise way above average maybe 98%. In the same trade I got a Single-Six, from '62 I believe, this one is a beater and I am comfy letting the grandkids shoot this one. Just not sure about what to do with the Flat Top, I can finally see why you folks like those short barrels on your Blackhawks. Now if only it was a .44 Mag.
Chief aka Maxx Load

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd keep that VERY nice Flattop as it is, & look for a lesser grade for a shooter.
I keep wishing I could find some in that condition.

Chief 101

Hunter
You know if I screw on a scope and adapt a bayonet to the barrel, load up some hot 180 cast I would be ready for anything. Kidding aside, I really think this is so clean it may be a refinish job and if so it should be a shooter. If there is any way I can be positive about that I would appreciate some input. tanks
Chief aka Maxx Load

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
That one sure looks like its to nice to mess with. They are getting very hard to find in the condition that yours seems to be in. As others have said, find a shooter. 8)

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I'm no expert and I wouldn't know a collectible one if it slapped me in the face. It is also hard to tell from the photo, but if it hasn't been shot it has at least been cycled per the markings on the cylinder.

Chief 101

Hunter
Upon further inspection it is doubtful that this has been shot since it left Ruger 50 years ago. I can't imagine buying a new Ruger and not using it but the original owner likely showed it to his Buds twice a year and that is the reason for the cylinder ring. The ring around the cylinder is normally a sign that you can shoot, or at least do shoot, but on an unshot Flattop I am not sure what to think. Chief aka Maxx Load

Chief 101

Hunter
flat38.jpg

I finally got another camera so here is another picture which is what this Gallery is all about. Indoors no flash.
flat357.jpg

and next, indoor with flash.
Chief aka Maxx Load