A little 300blk loading

Help Support Ruger Forum:

badguybuster

Single-Sixer
Did some 300blk load development today with the 125 grain Sierra Matchkings with Accurate 1680 at 75 yards.
The factory 147s were used to zero the Trijicon MRO which was previously on my Noveske 5.56. You can see as the loads got hotter the groups got tighter. 21 grains is the max listed load but there were no pressure signs and based on that group....no need to go hotter. I still want to try H110 and Lil Gun with these projectiles but I cant imagine a better result. These were fired from my PWS MK116 Mod 1.

I fired one shot for each group and then used that as a reference point for the 4 follow up shots.

20220430_163525.jpg

I've seen pretty good results using Hornady 110 V-Max(vermin/SD loads) and SPEER 110 Hot-Core(deer hunting) for super-sonic loads. For sub-sonics, I bought a 'sleeve'(500) of 190 grain BT polymer tipped blems. I haven't found that 'geewhiz' load for those yet but good enough for clanging the 100 yard gong. The big issue I found with the sub-sonic loads was the heavy compression requires a very solid crimp to prevent the bullets from jumping the crimp and jamming in the throat during cycling or pulling the bullet if chambered and extracted w/o firing.

contender

Ruger Guru
I need to find some of those Hornady bullets. Those 110 grn ones look interesting,, and will fit the bill for her purposes.

What I like about the V-Max is you can load the bullet base even with the base of the case neck on a lightly compressed charge of H110/WW296 while keeping a suitable OAL.