A Lipsey's 44 Special for Everyone! 8/24/09 All Gone!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
There seems to be almost equal enthusiasm for both lengths--maybe with a slight nod toward the 4-5/8". I like the 5.5 as the best compromise for its overall balance and shooting dynamics--sight picture and relative fps/ballistics/accuracy (we're talking minor differences here). Others argue the handier size (weight and length) of the 4+, especially if packing - as a trail gun, etc., and they cite the balance as well as a preferred characteristic of the shorter barrel. The .44 makes a big enough hole (7 of them), the absolute weight difference is probably less the issue than balance preference--and handiness... versus the relative virtues of a longer barrel. If hunting or target shooting regularly, I'd choose the longer tube.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Picked up my 5.5" today. :D

Date on the fired case is "July 16, 2009" . S/N 520-19031.

Trigger doesn't feel gritty @ all no creep -- probably will shoot itself in. Tight lock up. Overall fit & finish really well done.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I picked up my 5.5" today. A very nice gun!

I'm very impressed with the finish. Every single blued Ruger I've bought previous to this was covered in a layer of fine, bright orange oxidation which wasn't exactly rust, just residue from an improperly "stopped" bluing process. Not so here, where we have a nice, heavy, even finish and no residue.

The throats are all .431", and the barrel/sight appears to be properly indexed. The trigger is a tad heavy, but I haven't cleaned it thoroughly yet, and I usually do the "poor man's trigger job" anyway. All my other SAs are Bisleys, so the grip, hammer, and trigger will take some getting used to. They're not at all bad, just different.

The hard rubber grips are quite nice, and certainly better than the ticky-tacky plastic you get on most guns these days (even $800 Sigs). These, combined with the finish, give the gun a very business-like appearance. That didn't stop me from ordering a set of "extended" Honduran Rosewood grip panels for it from 41 Magnum, though... Should be here next week. There will be pictures.

I'm very pleased with my latest Ruger!

-- Sam

rykers

Bearcat
I picked mine up yesterday beautiful gun should have bought two!
Cant wait to try it out.

Hammer

Single-Sixer
Just received my two from Larry's Pistol & Pawn in Huntsville, Alabama.

One in 4-5/8 and one in 5-1/2.

Took a couple of emails and a couple of phone calls to get it all worked out.

You get a fried whole catfish dinner or a pull-pork platter with the purchase of two. Sweet tea and fried okra. Plus blackberry cobbler and hand-cranked ice cream.

OK, one of you guys almost had a very irritated Okie looking for them!

I emailed the shop yesterday to ask about the last two. I told them I wanted a 5.5". He emailed me back after hours and told me he thought they still had two. But he was going to be off today. So he sent a text message to the other manager (Jonathan) asking him to set one aside for me.

Well, today I've been trying to call them on and off all day. It is either busy or it rings and rings and nobody answers it. Finally somebody did at like 1:20 but they said Jonathan was still at lunch. Call back in 20 minutes. I did and it was busy. Then busy again. Finally got through at a few minutes after 2. Jonathan listened to my explanation of who I was and what I wanted. His response was, "you're kidding, right?" Seems he had just gotten off the phone with somebody who he _thought_ was the guy who had one reserved. So Jonathan had sold him the one I was supposed to get!!! One of you guys tried to pull a fast one!

So he went away to see if there was another one. He was gone a long time. I was already getting into sad mode when he came back to say there really was one more and I could have it! So I paid and now I'm finally going to get one.

Somebody out there just barely missed getting an irate visitor!!

Gregg

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Come on now Irate that you could not get a Pistol. Chill man Chill. You got one so happy day but if you did not it was not the end of the world lol. You would run across them again. Life is too darn short. :)

Axehandle

Buckeye
They are all gone! John says to tell all you guys thanks! If you are ever in Huntsville Alabama stop in at Larry's Pistol and Pawn and say hi...