A Guy I work with Bought This Flat Gate Yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45nut

Bearcat
I work with a guy that that bought this flat gate yesterday for $300.00 I think what he paid for it is in line with what it should bring. What do ya'll think? it's a 1956 model has not been converted with a good bore, finish is worn but it is a good shooter.

flatgate.jpg

RENE has COLLECTOR CONDITION flatgates at considerably more than that, so I guess it depends on how great your "gotta have it" factor is.

$300 is more than I'd give for it, but I'm not him.

Neat old gun.

:D

street

Hunter
It has the wrong Eagle in the grips, probably has the wrong grips, which means it could have the wrong grip frame. Can't really tell by the picture.

Grips would cost around $100, grip frame $125 to $150, so you would have to take that into account to determine a fair price. RENE price is for a collectible, (95% and better), is around $600. So you would have to take off for blueing wear, grips and grip frame.

yessir, you asked and I too agree, way too much for that condition, as well as wrong grips and grip frame, which would add at least $200 to the price of a gun, that has MORE than "character"............gotta shop around.

americal

Hunter
It is what it is--A very worn s.s. finish that is :) I've seen worse -- 300 I would not lose any sleep over it although it is A little to much :) BUT --clean it up good--cold blue it - shoot it--does appear to need XR3 grip frame & pair of black rubber grips-- would really help or leave frame on and put pair of nice stag grips on it for A neat shooter 8)

mt

Single-Sixer
For whatever reason it seems six-shooters here in Texas are priced a bit higher than other parts of the country.

mt

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Yes, But..............I have never seen a flatgate in any condition priced for less. So if you look at it from that perspective, and a guy wanted a flatgate.....not a bad buy. I personally like Flat Top Blackhawks vs the newer ones, but Flat Gates vs Round in the Single Six line doesn't matter to me and they are all shooters to me. I do love any OM over any NM though.

G2

Hunter
I like it :D and would clean it up a little and shoot it. Yes it shows alot of use but if that gun could talk.
If there would have been a brand new New Model and that OM to pick from I'm takin that OM.

On a recent trip to Boise, ID (July) I picked this plum gem up, I'm still wondering how it made it past the boys in Boise, The gun was priced $299 but since it had been there for 60 days :shock: they knocked off 10%-$30. Yes it did come with the owners manual and I really like the serial #.

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010020-1.jpg

P1010019-1.jpg

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
45nut":31vehg9x said:
I work with a guy that that bought this flat gate yesterday for $300.00 I think what he paid for it is in line with what it should bring. What do ya'll think? it's a 1956 model has not been converted with a good bore, finish is worn but it is a good shooter.

If your friend has buyers remorse let me know. Around here that seems like a fair price for any old model single six. Regional market values do differ from book values sometimes. If I had found this gun first it would have a new home 30 miles north of you.

flatgate

Hawkeye
45nut":31olkag2 said:

I get the feeling that the gun is sporting a "XR3-RED" grip frame.

Let's get this issue settled prior to any sort of an evaluation.

Grip removal and reading of the marks on the grip frame will
provide answers.

JMHO,

flatgate

45nut

Bearcat
I told him I didn't think he got hurt to bad and he's happy with it. If I would have found it I would have taking it home just because. I have been playing with rugers on and off for 20 years and this is only the second one I have ever seen that come from a local shop. We just don't get the old models on the shelves around here very often.

G2 proves my point, if one shops around, and as my wife says "good things come to those that wait...." (I know, how long...??)but they are out there, I have had 3 in the past 4 months all much nicer and all for LESS than $300, hell I paid $400 for one , new in the box and another at the medina gun show, that had factory stag grips and it was $250...so NEVER say never.............
and I don't mean "waiting in the house for the phone to ring...": you have got to shop around ,get out and check out shops, and sales and auctions ( local, NOT internet..) and get to any and all gun shows, I ain't sitting around ,waiting.........and doubt you'll ever find one "cheap" on the internet either, though you hear of the occasional " but it now..." and it is a matter of timing..ask some of the internet hustlers just what they may have "fell into" from time to time...( but I still call that "shopping around...") :wink:

Bottom line, as we said, that gun above, for that price and those issues , is TOO high, and I have the time, the parts and the know how to make it right,but cannot stay "affordable", when you gotta put that much into it.

americal

Hunter
rugerguy :!: you are ever so right :) it takes going--- gas money--- asking Whats under the table any Rugers--- time stopping at shop you don't want to stop at---- putting up with smarter than you people :x just gotta keep digging :!: ( O ) yes and cost of phone bill :shock:

Latest posts