A Great Day Shooting My Mark IV 22/45 Lite

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Weather was perfect today for out monthly Steel Challenge Match. Registration was full with 75 shooters showing up for the 8 stages of fire.

I shot my Black Mamba, after getting it back from Volquartsen two weeks ago. Basically it's a new gun and all the little problems with it have been corrected. VQ replaced the top end after a small piece broke off my original. They also put in a new barrel so I seasoned it with 800 rounds of Federal HV 36 grain HPs.

The match went off without a hitch. By 10 o'clock I had to take off my sweater, the temperature was over 70 degrees and there was no wind.

My score was a little better than my average. After a few bad stages I began to thing, in practice I never miss a 6 inch plate out to 25 yards so why would I be missing during the match. I started watching the dot and stopping on target long enough to get a good sight picture. On the last 4 stages I outshot all of my previous times.

We have a small cadre of shooters that enjoy being together. I like running the board and it seems that that is not a favorite chore for everyone.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
AzShooter1 said:
I started watching the dot and stopping on target long enough to get a good
sight picture. On the last 4 stages I outshot all of my previous times.
I've done something like that multiple times.

Sounds a lot like the statement from a national champ. to the effect
"you can't miss fast enough to win".

Unfortunately I don't always remember that. :wink:

Glad your Volquartsen is shooting well for you.

Around here lately I've seen several gun stores carry the Volquartsen Black Mamba. And they have another pistol as well, the Habu. But I don't know the differences. It looks like the Habu has a slightly different frame, and different grips, but I'm not sure what else.

How long have you have your Black Mamba? Glad you bought it, and would buy it again or not?

Funny though, because before this latest run on guns and ammo, I don't think I've ever seen a Volquartsen in any gun store. Now with everything else running low, they are in stock.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
Glad your Volquartsen is shooting well for you.

Around here lately I've seen several gun stores carry the Volquartsen Black Mamba. And they have another pistol as well, the Habu. But I don't know the differences. It looks like the Habu has a slightly different frame, and different grips, but I'm not sure what else.

How long have you have your Black Mamba? Glad you bought it, and would buy it again or not?

Funny though, because before this latest run on guns and ammo, I don't think I've ever seen a Volquartsen in any gun store. Now with everything else running low, they are in stock.

The difference between the Habu and the Mamba is the frame. The Mamba is made from a 22/45 Lite frame and the Habu from the steel frame. A different angle. The Habus have been discontinuted.

I've had my Mamba for 3 years and if I had it to do over again I'd do it all over again. I really enjoy shooting it. Today I took my C-More Railway Sight off and put iron sights on. I'm going to shoot Rimfire Pistol Iron for the next few months because I really like the way the gun acts and I don't have to worry about batteries.

More gun stores seem to be handling the Volquartsen line these days. There is also a new top end for the Mamba. It does not have the ribs and is not set up for iron sights but seems to be drilled and tapped for a wide variety of Red Dots.