A good visit and a new gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Yesterday I met up with my good friend, Mike "Doc" Barranti, for some gun shop bumming, lunch, and just a good old fashioned visit. The first stop of the day was to meet at the midway point for the both of us. This is the wonderful Juniata Trading Co. A perusal of the used gun rack stopped me in my tracks. There amongst all the usual Remingtons, Rugers, and Winchesters was a slim, clean lined sporterized Springfield 1903 bolt action rifle. At first, I wasn't sure why I was drawn to it. Mike reminded me it was classic Elmer Keith ! A little more thought on my part also conjured up visions of "Teddy" Roosevelt, and lastly Paco Kelly, who in is last published book, " Rifles and Handguns" An American Freedom, spoke briefly of a customized 1903 by famed Philidelphia, Pa. gunsmith, R. F. Sedgely. I was in some mighty good company.

This particular rifle was tastefully sporterized. The bluing is deep, and dark ! It sported a beautiful Lyman Target peep sight with target knobs and micrometered scale, for easy setting and repeatability. The front sight is original, with a twist . Someone mounted a green fiber optic to it, for increased visability in low light conditions. The stock was whittled down to a classic style, with cheek piece. The lightness of the stock, matched with the clean lines the Lyman peep, give this rifle the pointability of a fine shotgun.

A little dickering was done, a phone call placed to my wife about the rifle, and the rifle came home with me. A little research showed my rifle to be made during 1914-15. This was confirmed by the serial number and "Hatchers Notebook" listings. There is also a stamping on top of the barrel, in front of the front sight, 12-15, and SA. The barrel is 24" long, with 4 lands and grooves. Running a bore snake thru the barrel revealed a smooth, pit free bore, which is also shiney ! I told Mike even if the bore was pitted, I was going to take it, as it would be a GREAT rifle re-bored and re-chambered in either .35 Whelen, or .400 Whelen, just like Elmers gifted rifle from Griffin & Howe in the mid 20's. How cool would that be! Being an early rifle, the trigger guard, floor plate, and magazine follower are milled, not stamped. This was apparent when I first hefted the rifle to my shoulder.

This no-frills rifle will be a prime long range, cast bullet, rock smasher ! I'm sure it will also make a few retro deer hunts in the coming seasons.

"Doc" and I then went to another gun shop, specializing in high dollar guns. Dakota, Cooper, Holland & Holland, Johannson, and other guns with AAA exhibition grade walnut were displayed in the racks. Prices of 8, 9 12, and 18 thousand dollars were the norm. As we ate lunch, "Doc" ask me what I was giggling at. I told him I was just as happy with my $400 sporterized rifle, with some history to it, than any of those high dollar rifles You'd be too scared to hunt with, for fear of dinging them up.

We had a good visit, better lunch, and great conversation all rolled into a fantastic memory. Its hard to find good sixgun, rifleman, or gun guys. When you do, you tend to hang onto them.

springfield005.jpg

springfield017.jpg

springfield009.jpg

springfield014.jpg

springfield012.jpg

springfield016.jpg

mb111263

Single-Sixer
It was a great visit! Tank did real good with that old rifle, and it was fun watching him haggle with the guy behind the counter. The 5 hour round trip drive was well worth it for a chance to visit with a good friend, eat good food and look at some classic guns!

Hopefully I will get to shoot that rifle in 2 weeks!!

sixshot

Buckeye
Great find Tank, those old Springfields are neat rifles. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. What did you guys eat, thats a personal interest of mine you know!

Dick

Hugh

Buckeye
That's a nice looking Springfield. I've always liked the Lyman sight, but not so sure about altering the original blade. Mine is a sporterized 1917; would like to have another Springfield though.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, Mike had a cup of chili and bacon cheeseburger, while I opted for a bowl of Md. crab soup and a turkey club. We then had a piece of chocolate meringue pie each.

4948-chocolate_cream.jpg

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I love this forum; I get to hear great stories, see and learn about guns I'm not familiar with, AND get ideas for dinner - you can't get that anywhere else!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Sounds like a great time!!! don't you wish that rifle could talk Jeff??

When I started Deer hunting in Pa. in 1970 you seen alot of rifles like that in Deer Camps and the woods. Nice score!!
Terry

callshot

Blackhawk
Bring it on out here and let's see if it will shoot. 8) Way to go big fella. I'll be having a glass of water with you soon. Steve