A (for real) TACTICAL 10/22...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
tac-lead.jpg

Tactical Solutions Lights Out .22LR

Tactical Solutions has become the "go to" company for a variety of .22 caliber conversions, Ruger 10/22 barrels, and a host of accessories. In the past year I have had an opportunity to evaluate their 1911 and M4 conversion units, and both products represent the company's commitment to quality. In a recent conversation with Chet Alvord, owner of Tactical Solutions, I learned of a mission-
specific rifle they are making for law enforcement.

The Lights Out Rifle is the result of several requests for a compact .22 caliber rifle to be used in tactical situations. As the name implies, one use may be to take out lights that put a tactical team at jeopardy during a high-risk operation. The Lights Out Rifle is a short-barreled rifle that features an integral suppressor, making it a restricted NFA (National Firearms Act) weapon.

I first saw the Lights Out Rifle early on in 2009. While it looked neat, at the time I was more interested in some of the other products from Tactical Solutions. Nevertheless, I kept the little rifle in the back of my mind and was recently given one for evaluation.

The Lights Out Rifle is based on Tactical Solutions' exceptional X-Ring receiver, a precision made receiver that is modeled after Ruger's venerable 10/22. However, under close examination, the resemblance is only skin-deep. The X-Ring is machined from a solid block of aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum. Instead of a screw mounted scope base, the X-Ring has an integral Picatinny scope rail machined into the receiver. The bolt is precision machined from hardened steel and features an extra large charging handle that rotates on the mounting pin. A dual recoil spring allows the bolt to function smoothly without binding. A unique feature is the cleaning port in the rear of the receiver that allows the barrel to be cleaned from the breach end.

... for more on this
pick up the January 2010 issue of Guns & Weapons

:mrgreen:

Go to: Tactical-Life.com

BlkHawk73

Hunter
*yawn* :roll: I guess I still don't get the whole "tactical" clothes line stuff. Flashlight and night optics? :roll: A bit redundant?
Also, anything "tactical" should, IMO, provide the user with 110% confidence in it's operation and there's been too many issues with these X-ing receivers. I'd have one already if there hadn't been so many initial problems with them.

To each their own though.

wwb

Hunter
wetidlerjr":2yju75xk said:
...... As the name implies, one use may be to take out lights that put a tactical team at jeopardy during a high-risk operation.....

More "mall ninja" stuff..... a "tactical team" armed with .22 rimfires..... gimme a break. Ever heard of an AR-15?

Then again people will stack the same crap on an AR-15... like it is really going to be useful in an actual tactical situation.

the most tactical 10/22 I've ever shot is this one... somewhere between 600 and 1100 rounds a minute.

Doty1.jpg

As I've said before.... will work real well when you get attacked by a hoard of commie squirrels coming over the hill.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
blume357":ddi0mnmv said:
Then again people will stack the same crap on an AR-15... like it is really going to be useful in an actual tactical situation.

Yup! :lol:

Like those same people have the training and knowledge in such situations also. Guess having the equipment makes the user fully knowledgeable. :roll: Spend the $ on the gun but nothing on proper, professional training...yeah that shows how serious one is. :roll:

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
wwb":28pnmez4 said:
wetidlerjr":28pnmez4 said:
...... As the name implies, one use may be to take out lights that put a tactical team at jeopardy during a high-risk operation.....

More "mall ninja" stuff..... a "tactical team" armed with .22 rimfires..... gimme a break. Ever heard of an AR-15?

Give me a break. I am not producing this. Also, if you read the quote you would see that no one is advocating arming tactical teams with only this rifle.
The Lights Out Rifle is the result of several requests for a compact .22 caliber rifle to be used in tactical situations.

If you are asking me if I have ever heard of a AR-15 then "Yes, I have two and I first fired the M-16 in 1968."

RIF :roll:

wwb

Hunter
wetidlerjr":1ylvx2qw said:
....... Also, if you read the quote you would see that no one is advocating arming tactical teams with only this rifle........

Let me get this straight..... said "tactical team" is armed with not one, but two firearms.... one just to shoot out the lights and the other to shoot the bad guys? "Wait a minute before you shoot, sir.... I have to switch from my lights putter-outer gun to my bad guy shooter gun."

Or, alternatively, we have two "teams".... the "tactical team" and the "put out the lights for the tactical team" team. Which one do you send in first?

A stupid idea is a stupid idea..... I still maintain this is aimed at the "mall ninja" crowd.

I, too have some experience with the M-16.... and the M-14, the M-2, the M-60, the M-79, the 105 recoilless, and the 60mm Mortar. I spent a little time in the Recon Platoon, Co. E, 2/28, 1st Inf Div.... quite familiar with places like Lai Khe, Dau Tieng, Nui Ba Den, Ap Ben Chua, and a good stretch of Song Saigon and Song Be rivers. Any other Black Lions out there?

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I see. As I understand the Ruger Mark I was used as an assassination weapon too, long time ago...

But the real reason these weapons are dressed up in black is to sell to the Mall Ninjas, just like 99.9% of the AR15 variations.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I get so tired of this mud-slinging "mall ninja" garbage whenever the discussion is about a "tactical" .22 that I could puke. I have no patience to actually explain it to somebody who will never understand it, yet again. It's stupid and offensive and folks should be ashamed of making such generalizations. Nobody learned a damn thing from the Zumbo incident. :x

As I stated on RFC "Used my "tactical" 10/22 to bust another possum after a free meal tonight. Probably the biggest I've ever seen. That vertical grip, mounted weaponlight and illuminated reticle sure made it easy to illuminate the target and put a bullet in it. We 'might' prove to the world that these "tactical" .22's are good for something other than protecting mall shoppers afterall."

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Thin-skinned are we now? Sorry I offended you. But I hold with my opinion. This isn't my first rodeo.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thin skinned??? No. Irritated by inflammatory generalizations and stereotyping, characterizing 99.9% of shooters who prefer a certain type of weapon as "mall ninjas", statements that serve no other purpose than to alienate shooters??? Absolutely! This ain't my first rodeo either but I'm not so arrogant as to presume that all shooters should have the same tastes and preferences that I do. I don't own an AR-15 or any other "black rifle" but I do own a "tactical" 10/22 that was built for a very specific purpose and for that purpose, it excels and does so much more efficiently than a more traditional rifle would. Which is exactly why I resent being lumped in with "mall ninjas" simply for owning said rifle. It is an incorrect and offensive generalization that says a whole hell of a lot more about you than it does about me.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
tomiswho":1xng5tt9 said:
But the real reason these weapons are dressed up in black is to sell to the Mall Ninjas, just like 99.9% of the AR15 variations.

Quite an observation...

A lot of our modern servicemen, with recent real-life field experience with the M4, like the AR15 platform. And, they buy "AR15 variations" because veterans have an attachment to the rifles they served with.

The basic difference between "black rifle" owners and you is, "black rifle" owners will stick up for your right to own and like your Remington 700, Ruger 77, and your Browning O/U.

Maybe too many rodeos, sir? Remember... we're in this together. JMHO

hankhill33

Bearcat
Dont hold back there what are you trying to say?
When the bad guys are close anything that will put bullets...slugs or even large rocks in their direction will work.
Lets face it.... killin is killin
You dont have to be the quickest or the best shot
You just have to be willin
For those of us that have had to pull the trigger to save are own hide or the fellas next to us.this is something we should never forget
Hank
3RD I.D. a long..... long time ago

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
wwb":1ghhopto said:
wetidlerjr":1ghhopto said:
....... Also, if you read the quote you would see that no one is advocating arming tactical teams with only this rifle........

Let me get this straight..... said "tactical team" is armed with not one, but two firearms.... one just to shoot out the lights and the other to shoot the bad guys? "Wait a minute before you shoot, sir.... I have to switch from my lights putter-outer gun to my bad guy shooter gun."
Or, alternatively, we have two "teams".... the "tactical team" and the "put out the lights for the tactical team" team. Which one do you send in first?...

There is (as far as I am concerned) nothing to "get straight" as I posted this simply as information that I believe will interest some here. Unlike some who will remain nameless, I claim no direct knowledge about SWAT, Hostage Rescue or Mall Ninjas. I would suggest you contact Tactical Solutions for info on their reasoning concerning production of this weapon and it's intended use but be careful as they may make you carry one on your mall security job. :wink:

Looks like this thread needs to be moved over to the political section or even 'deeper'.

personally I like what most would consider a tactical 22lr.... but I don't go for all the things that get stacked on a tactical rifle.... Even though it seems every U.S. swat team and fire team now has red dots of some type on their assault rifles, I'm a little skeptical of them even. I'm still having trouble with the theory of trusting my life to a battery.... running a device probably made in China.

As for a light on a gun, of any type... I was brought up you never point a gun at anything you don't plan to kill... using a gun for looking around just seems like a bad idea to me..... I don't care how well trained you are... and I know how well trained I am... Practically none at all and thus just don't want to be walking around at night pointing a gun in all directions.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357":1uoka3ev said:
I'm still having trouble with the theory of trusting my life to a battery.... running a device probably made in China.
Me too. As my Dad used to say, "Trust physics always, chemistry usually, electricity never."

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
blume357":2n6xa7ou said:
.... Even though it seems every U.S. swat team and fire team now has red dots of some type on their assault rifles, I'm a little skeptical of them even. I'm still having trouble with the theory of trusting my life to a battery.... running a device probably made in China...

I don't know what is being used in S.C. but ACOGs, Aimpoints and EOTechs are NOT made in China.

Latest posts