A Flat Top walks into a bar....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Well, not quite, but I was talking to a buddy of mine when an older gentleman walked into his gun shop with an older Ruger Flat Top .44 Magnum 6 1/2 inch barrel. I would put the gun at 80-85% and it has not been back for the newer safety. The grips are original and are beautiful walnut. Not sure of the serial number but the gun is a beauty. Sure enough it was purchased and it has a price tag of $800 on it right as it sits. Wish I could afford it but with me on a fixed income, and the holidays and heating season coming up, I have no spare money to speak of.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Unless you just HAVE to have an older firearm, I bought a new Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 magnum Flattop for less than $400.00 from a dealer (6½" barrel like all of them have). This was just a year or so ago. I would think there are some of those around. It is extremely well made and shoots VERY well.

FWIW
Dale53

Rclark

Hunter
As well as I like my 50th .... it doesn't have that nice 3 screw OM action :( . That is where the OM shines ....

Cholo

Staff member
...and the OM Flattop has history, and rarity. I like history in an old gun. Who originally bought it, what did they use it for, where has it been since? I was X years old when it was built, my Ma was X years old when it was built. A new gun? What's the date on the fired case or whatever...? :wink:

New ones have their place, the old ones have a place in my heart.

SAJohn

Hunter
Cholo, Great minds think alike.
44FlattopStag.jpg

-4.jpg

John

Hondo44

Hawkeye
David LaPell said:
Well, not quite, but I was talking to a buddy of mine when an older gentleman walked into his gun shop with an older Ruger Flat Top .44 Magnum 6 1/2 inch barrel. I would put the gun at 80-85% and it has not been back for the newer safety. The grips are original and are beautiful walnut. Not sure of the serial number but the gun is a beauty. Sure enough it was purchased and it has a price tag of $800 on it right as it sits. Wish I could afford it but with me on a fixed income, and the holidays and heating season coming up, I have no spare money to speak of.

David,

I'm just curious, did you happen to hear what the seller was paid for it?
Thx,