A few pics from our New Mexico trip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
My wife and I and our son, daughter-in-law, and two grandson's just got back from a 12-day road trip to New Mexico to visit family, enjoy the mountain air, and did Sea World in San Antonio on the way. Here's a few pics:

Crystal and I made an overnight at Tishimingo State Park in Mississippi on the way. It was really pretty. A lot of the roads, structures, and an old swinging bridge were built by the CCC during the depression era. We did some hiking while there but it was brutally hot.
413943397.jpg

413943398.jpg

On to New Mexico via some long, long Texas roads. We mostly avoid the interstates and drive the secondary roads. Often they are four-laned, 18-wheeler traffic is way less, scenery is way better. Much less pressured and more pleasant way to travel in our way of thinking.

413943404.jpg

413943402.jpg

Our travel rig: 2004 F-250 Powerstroke diesel and 21' Salem travel trailer.
413943403.jpg

The grandsons and a "resident alien" they met in Roswell, NM. Roswell has really made a commercial success out of all the extraterrestrial hoopla.
413943405.jpg

Here they are standing in front of a Nike missle on the slope of the Organ Mountains just above White Sands Proving Grounds.
413943388.jpg

Yours truly and wife near the same place, Organ Mountains looking toward El Paso in the background.
413943389.jpg

A few pics from White Sands, New Mexico. My wife is from Alamogordo, just a few miles from here and "birthplace of the atomic age." Trinity Site, where the first atomic bomb was tested, is about forty miles north of here straight up the Tularosa Basin at Oscuro.

413943407.jpg

413943408.jpg

413943409.jpg

413943410.jpg

413943411.jpg

413943406.jpg

Most of the time we stayed in the mountains at Alto, near Ruidoso. Very pleasant. The boys got familiar with the resident mule deer family in the little RV park where we stayed. My BIL and SIL have charge of the park, and they, myself and wife, and son and family were the only ones there. It was marvelous.
413943399.jpg

The boys had an outdoor theatre one night, watching a movie on the laptop in the cool of the evening.
413943401.jpg

A pretty pair: wife Crystal and her little sis Charis.
413943400.jpg

We had a great trip, got to visit a lot of family and friends. My wife got to see cousins she hadn't seen in years and their kids and grandkids. Ate some great food and brought home 25 lbs of green chile, unobtainable in Alabama, and our only souvenir other than the memories. Thanks for looking.

I love to country in New Mexico. Our oldest son has been there for the last year or so training in a new airplane for the A/F so we've got to head that way a few times in the last year. He drew a mule deer tag for around his new base for this winter and I'll head down there in November to go along to be another set of eyes on his hunt.

He is finishing up his training in Albuquerque then he will be stationed in Clovis starting in August or September. His wife is still stationed in England but as soon as he moves to Clovis she will as well. He said his tag is north of the town so I'm hoping he can do some scouting before I make the trip down in November. We will probably make a flash trip with all his guns and reloading gear we have stored here sometime in the next month and meet him in Salt Lake or some other place in between. He had to leave all that here when he was stationed in the UK.

Joe S.

Hunter
Great trip! I've been to Tishomingo before. it is a neat park (and area) that doesn't really share geographic features with anywhere else in Mississippi.

6gunsonly, you were in my old stomping grounds. I'm from Alamogordo as well. Your wife looks much younger than me. I graduated in '68 there in Alamogordo. Played a lot at the White Sands. My dad worked at the missle range after he retired and before that Holliman AFB. Over by Roswell you should have been able to see some Antelope play. Along the way there were Oryx to see near the missle range and White sands, between Alamogordo and Las Cruces. Loved Ruidoso. Did you get to go to the horse races? I lived there one summer when the folks locked me out. Lived in a tack shed and was a groom for the horses. Nice way of saying clean up after the horses. :mrgreen:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
BPJ, you're 10 years older than my wife. She actually moved from Alamo to Silver City when she was about 10 or 11, stayed in Silver for 3 or 4 years then they wound up here in Alabama briefly when she was almost 16. I kidnapped her then and we've been together ever since. That's over 40 years now. We lived in NM for about 10 years of our married life and two of our kids were born there (the oldest and the youngest, oddly, with the middle girl born in Alabama between times).

We've seen the Oryx out by the missle range before but didn't see any this time. When we crossed the Tularosa basin on the way to Las Cruces, it was 106 degrees so the oryx were probably in whatever shade you can find out there at the time (not much). We actually lived in Captitan and worked around Ruidoso briefly back in the early 80s. Spent 4 years in Silver City and another 5 in Reserve, if you know where that is (Catron County, north of Silver City).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There is no place quite like White Sands at sunrise. Everyone should have that moment of peace in their lifetime.

Thanks for sharing!