A few additions to the Tribe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's been a while since I've posted any new goodies. Nothing spectacular, mind you, but a few examples that made me smile.

SC4.jpg

Old Model Super Single-Six with a 4-5/8" barrel. A "mistake" was made while drilling the hole for the front sight screw on a 5-1/2" gun so the barrel was sawn off and sight was attached.
SC4_Muzzle.jpg

Inspection of the muzzle confirms "sumptin' funny is going on"... :D

I found this .32 mag in a local shop several months ago. The previous owner did some fine gunsmithing..... and managed to totally ring the cylinder and also install the wrong screw at the front of the trigger guard which caused another ring on the cylinder :shock: Ah, but the gun is one of the elusive "SSM" marked examples.
SSM_marking.jpg

I've already "retimed" the cylinder latch and replaced the pawl and tuned the trigger a bit. This one's cylinder will get refinished, as well.

Last, but far from the least is this OM Bearcat.

BC4-49837S.jpg

It's a late '64/early '65 example (I need to get the ship date from Ruger). Nothing out of the ordinary except for one "squiggle" stamped into the cylinder frame in front of the trigger guard.
BC4-S.jpg

All in all, I'm quite pleased! :D

Muchos thanks to TL from Oregon. And, by golly, I did happen to have a box.....

flatgate

americal

Hunter
The sight looks pretty good with that little chop on it 8) hope crown is done good looks ok :) but gotta shoot it to find out-- I would guess its ok since it has been shot some --very good condition on the gun itself + better than norm on the grip panels :) love that barrel length.

chet15

Hawkeye
Congrats flatgate! Have never owned the two "biggies" you have pictured! Can't quite make out the sn on the SC4 with my monitor...a new discovery or passed around from the "circle"? For thirty years have been wondering when I'll finally "cherrypick" one or the other off a table!
Chet15

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Holy macke'l Andy, those are nice! I remember several years ago, when Lynn Ladise was still doing gun shows, I stopped at his table and asked, "where's all the 4 5/8's Super Single Sixes", and he just looked at me like I was nuts; wWas just trying to make a funny.
HH

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh I had to check my notes...that SC4 looks like 509100.....seems kinda fitting ......I sold 509102.......still have a 5088xx gun......and a BC4 S gun.....double WOW.....someday I want to be that lucky.....REALLY NICE STUFF......see ya RR.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Thanks for all the kind words!

Now I need an SC-5 box, I guess........ Chet15, yup, RR nailed the s/n. I was enamored by the last three digits... :D

flatgate

americal

Hunter
BOY did I get that wrong :oops: :oops: I thought Ruger finished out the end of barrel in its usual way on those rare guns & I did not know the 4/5/8ths super S.S. were because of wrong drill hole :shock: WOW :!: :!: I showed my ignorance :? Flatgate-- only seen one for sale & flattop 44 got it :) one RARE GUN congrats :D one good thing I did learn something :? AM I right that the end of barrel was kind of left alone not finished just crowned & sent out :?:

flatgate

Hawkeye
The story goes that the assembler drilled the front sight hole too deep... clear into the bore of the barrel.... :D ........on a large batch of 200 guns without knowing it. Someone figured it out and a "fix" was needed, fast.

The quick solution was to clamp the barreled receiver in some sort of a band saw which made the barrel a 4-5/8". A quicky crown job was done and the front sight was then installed, properly.

So, the muzzle end of the barrel didn't get the usual machine work since it's kinda tough to stick a barreled receiver in a lathe. It can be done but I don't think it's a normal procedure.........

This is sorta a similar situation to the 6-1/2" barreled OM Super Blackhawks except the Super barrels were cut an inch too short prior to them being installed in the cylinder frames.

flatgate