A different SR9 post ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

graygun

Hunter
Would SR9 owners with NO peening or other problems mind posting photos or simply commenting.

I wanted to love this newer offering but I might eventually sell it and get a P89 or other 9mm.

jhearne

Buckeye
There are quite a few owners who will chime in, but I would claim to have very minor peening, but ZERO functional problems. As of right now it's a purely asthetic issue if I would call it any. I trust it perfectly if I were to need it, no doubts that it would do the job.

Josh

robilmichael

Bearcat
I have no peening or any other problems. I checked and there is not even a lip forming. Tight, accurate and easy to shoot. I have fired every type of round through it without any problem, even cheap Wolf ammo and Brown Bear ammo. I am sorry to see that some people have had a problem. Zero problems here. :D

graygun

Hunter
Mine hasn't failed yet but I think the peening is getting worse...not absolutely sure. If it is manageable,I might keep it.

How about an associated rounds-fired count. I'm just shy of 1,300.

Burley

Bearcat
I love mine. It's only issue was a light strike with a reload hunders of rounds ago. I'm anxious for the new connector too bc I haven't modded or detail stripped mine yet and I want a reason to tear down.:)

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
I have had very minimal peening on the barrel ears as their called and had to clean and lube the MAG release other wise my SR9 works great and eats anything I feed it and I,ve run at least over 3000 rounds through it.If I didn,t trust this gun I would not let my daughter use it and she really likes to shoot this one. Dusterman

A

Anonymous

I've commented on this before.

1000 rounds through mine, never a failure. Minor peen at front of barrel block. Not really a lip (less than 0.5mm at the most), or if it formed at one point, it wore down from the slide. If I look straight at the front of the barrel block, it is banged in, and a little and shiny. Does anyone else with minor issue see this wear right across the front (with or without a lip forming)??

I don't really see chips or other damage on the ears like some people discuss, but I see wear at those points as well.

I am waiting for a response from Ruger about what degree of this is acceptable...email and phone messages left, and i will let you all know. If mine doesn't continue to get worse, i can live with it. It works.

I will try to submit a photo tonight. I think we all need to submit photos here to get an idea of the variation out there. We need pictures of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

over-

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
mine is peening but there are NO actual issues yet...... it still works like a ruger should :)

kscott

Single-Sixer
I'm at about 900-1000 rounds, and haven't had a single issue yet. I have just a small amount of wear on the back (breech face end) of one of the ears, but I am in NO WAY worried about it as you have to really look over the barrel to see it and it doesn't affect function one bit. Very happy with mine.

hawkeye

Bearcat
I have about 500 rounds thru my SR-9 and so far it has been flawless. The only thing I've noticed is that there is just very slight peening at the front of the barrel block. When I first got the pistol I wasn't happy with the trigger so I polished the trigger group using Josh's procedure. So far I'm happy.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have not had any issues at all; I am keeping a log of shots that is not at my fingertips right now; but is approximately 600+.

A

Anonymous

Hopefully this will put many of you at ease regarding all this peening chatter. I spoke with customer service today and described exactly what I see on my barrel and about all the peening.

They are aware of all the discussion going on, and said that people are blowing this out of proportion. According to Ruger, they have had only 10 true cases of peening in the last year....with the tens of thousands of these guns out there...we are talking about a rare problem.

As long as you don't have major chipping or deformation and the gun is working well, you are probably seeing normal wear. A little worn/shiny spot at the front of the barrel block is normal. They said true peening will get worse and lead to malfunctions. You will get an obvious deformation in which the metal will move, and harden in the new position.

Based on my discussion, i would say most people are not seeing peening...but a little wear. We are talking about explosive recoil and metal on metal....some wear will happen. In another conversation I had with a ruger person today he described their guns as not having as tight toleraces as some other pistols, but said that as a result, if you drop it, it will still go bang when you pick it up.

take from this what you will. Most of us need to relax and keep shooting. I am going to try to post a pic later so we can start seeing some pics of "normal" wear.

good luck

81aggie

Bearcat
About 800 rounds through mine, absolutely no functional problems and no serious peening or other damage to any part of the barrel. Been keeping an eye on it, the pistol gets cleaned after every range session, and all I can find is a bit of a rough spot on the front of the barrel block as described in the previous post, and that's barely detectable by touch or sight. I really like this gun and have gotten very comfortable with it. Used it on the range qualification part of my CHL class, shot a perfect score. If I were going to sell or trade it, that day is probably far down the road.

coldarkstare

Bearcat
have around 300 rounds thru my sr9 and have had no malfunctions or problems, as for the "peening" or what seems to be wear n tear im just in the same boat as the pics go (nothing major)from the response that B2D2Rug5 got,and it seems very accurate. will be glad to see some new upgrades come along soon for it. so in sayn think ill just keep an eye on it as i run some more ammo thru and have fun shooting :) and thanks for the info and response back from ruger B2D2Rug5.

Edirty692

Bearcat
So far so good. I put about 2000 rounds thru, and no problems. No peening, no FTE or FTF to report. Nothing but great shooting for me. Sorry for everyone with problems, but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :D

Doble Troble

Bearcat
Probably 2000 rounds. Noted some peening of the front of the barrel hood somewhere close to 1000. Took a file to the raised portion - it was like a wire lip being raised - sanded it smooth and while I was at it polished everything that was showing wear. It's been shooting great ever since.

It's been 100% reliable after a few FTFs and stove pipes on the first few magazines that may have been reload issues (fat cast bullets seated too far out). Its eaten everything else voraciously since.

If I wasn't confident smoothing things up myself, and needed reliability, I'd buy a revolver. Everyone I know who has Glocks, non-custom 1911s, XDs, M&Ps, all have issues from time-to-time. The guys with CUSTOM 1911s have the most issues (in my experience)! The only make that I don't remember seeing have problems in matches have been the Beretta's, but not too many shoot them (I don't know why).

Latest posts