A Cub Project Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanks very much for all that info. I guess flying is a pretty expensive hobby.

One of the reasons I asked was that I was wondering where the people on those Alaskan shows get the money to buy a plane. I mean how much money can one make trapping fur?
I have never seen the program so don't know what types of planes they are using. You can buy good planes for a LOT less than a Carbon Cub but they will not be new. They could be 50-75 years old BUT there isn't anything wrong with that. My Bonanza and Champion are 60 years old and the SNJ-4 is almost 80. A fair condition 2 place Cub type plane will cost $15,000-60,000 this price will also include many 4 place models.

caryc

Hawkeye
I have never seen the program so don't know what types of planes they are using. You can buy good planes for a LOT less than a Carbon Cub but they will not be new. They could be 50-75 years old BUT there isn't anything wrong with that. My Bonanza and Champion are 60 years old and the SNJ-4 is almost 80. A fair condition 2 place Cub type plane will cost $15,000-60,000 this price will also include many 4 place models.
I don't think I'd want to fly in a "fair condition" airplane.

I doubt very many of the Carbon Cubs being built are headed out into a "working" airplanes life. Don't see them loaded with
cargo, hunters, and dead animals, grinding out a route in the bush. Suspect most are heading into pristine hangers to live a pampered
life, being pulled out on a nice day for a ride in search of what used to be the $100 burger. These are more like a high end collector car
than a Ford Crown Vic taxi cab. These are toys, really nice toys, the custom resto-mods of the aircraft world.
As Jim pointed out $50,000 would buy something with 90% of the flying capabilities, maybe even $35,000.
What you would not get at that price point would be the modern avionics, but depending how it was flown they might not
even be missed.

Edit....Jim, if you see this are those fuselages TIG or MIG welded at the factory?

Dave,
You are spot on with your description. Some do spend time flying into the back country and STOL competition. Grandson has sold and become friends with some high $$$$ owners think Waltons of Benton AR. Since the EX and FX are Experimental Amateur Built Category they can not fly for hire. Cub Crafters does build a Certificated Model.
The fuselages and tail feathers are TIG welded.

Last edited:
Does the Cub require an A&P (IA) annual.
Frank,
Yes Experimental Amateur Built Category Aircraft require an annual.
If you are the original builder as I am with my Starduster Too I can sign off the Annual by having a FAA Repairman Certificate. I can not sign off other aircraft only mine. If not the builder you must have an A&P sign it off. It does not have to have an IA sign it off

The Carbon Cub EX-2 the 3 of us previously built.

1670119230794.png

Hvymax

Blackhawk
I think it would be neat to put it all together without skinning it so you would have a "visible airplane" like those "visible watches" where you see all the insides. But, I guess it wouldn't fly too good like that.

Nice job though. You guys must have a whole mess of brains between the two of you.
Clear heat shrink film!!!

Latest posts