A Cub Project Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
I have been spending quite a bit of time at Son Trey's place North of Ft Worth. So I thought it was about time for an update on the Carbon Cub Project.
Thanks for looking
Jim

Engine is installed and components are hooked up. The engine cowling has been fitted and painted. Prop and spinner has been installed but removed so The Old Fat Guy doesn't keep running into it.

1669829216366.png

Instrument panel and wiring is pretty much finished and every thing works:)
1669829377518.png

Installed and rigged tail feathers.
1669829522233.png

1669829602311.png

I will be going back to Trey's in 10 days for 3 weeks. We will be installing the wings, fitting the windshield and other components that couldn't be done until wings are on.
1669829791046.png

turd

Buckeye
I'm pretty much airplane dumb, so excuse me for the questions. Is this pretty much a restoration, or new construction (meaning mostly new parts)? Are you finding parts at airplane "junk" yards and refurbishing them? In any case, this looks like someone that really knows what they are doing. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Danjet500

Buckeye
I've never built an airplane but I've assembled a few kit cars. Its a good feeling once the electricals are complete to put power to it and no smoke comes out!
Looks great. Congratulations so far.

caryc

Hawkeye
I think it would be neat to put it all together without skinning it so you would have a "visible airplane" like those "visible watches" where you see all the insides. But, I guess it wouldn't fly too good like that.

Nice job though. You guys must have a whole mess of brains between the two of you.

Frank,
The fuselage and tail feathers are 4130 chrome moly steel that is welded together along with a few other parts. Unlike my Starduster Too which I bought the raw tubing and welded it myself. All of the welding has already been done for this one.
The wings have 2024-T3 alum. spar, flaps and ailerons. The ribs leading edges and miscellaneous parts are riveted and bolted to the spars

Caryc You mean like this??? Looks good but doesn't fly very well:)

1669864019858.png

caryc

Hawkeye
Frank,
The fuselage and tail feathers are 4130 chrome moly steel that is welded together along with a few other parts. Unlike my Starduster Too which I bought the raw tubing and welded it myself. All of the welding has already been done for this one.
The wings have 2024-T3 alum. spar, flaps and ailerons. The ribs leading edges and miscellaneous parts are riveted and bolted to the spars

Caryc You mean like this??? Looks good but doesn't fly very well:)

View attachment 11539
Of course it cain't fly. Tain't got no spinny thing on the front. ❗ Cool.

Last edited:

Zonker5

Bearcat
Beautiful!

When do you expect to have it done? I am close and would love to see it fly.

Beautiful!

When do you expect to have it done? I am close and would love to see it fly.
Zonker5,
Hard to say probably late Jan./Feb. Trey is located at Fairview Airport which Is a little Eest of Rome. You are more than welcome to come out before it flies if you want. We got plenty of stuff to look at:)

This Ole War Horse still lives their:)
1669912521925.png

1669912603495.png

Zonker5

Bearcat
Zonker5,
Hard to say probably late Jan./Feb. Trey is located at Fairview Airport which Is a little Eest of Rome. You are more than welcome to come out before it flies if you want. We got plenty of stuff to look at:)

This Ole War Horse still lives their:)
I'm about 40 minutes from you, I will definitely make a trip that way soon.

caryc

Hawkeye
Hey Jim, I don't know if this question is appropriate or not so if you'd rather not answer, that's cool. I'm wondering what the price of that kit was. If you don't want to answer that how about this, can you give us a hint about how much money is saved by purchasing the kit rather than a new plane?

Hey Jim, I don't know if this question is appropriate or not so if you'd rather not answer, that's cool. I'm wondering what the price of that kit was. If you don't want to answer that how about this, can you give us a hint about how much money is saved by purchasing the kit rather than a new plane?
Hey caryc,
As I have stated before I'm an open book and willing to share info to RF friends. We will have around $225-230K in the material and 1500 hrs+- of labor.
When finished and the FAA mandatory 40 hrs. flown off which is required for experimental amateur built aircraft it will sell for around $400-$410K. I know what you are thinking THAT IS CRAZY MONEY. I think the same thing. But there are a lot of high $$$ people out there that want these Cubs. The wait for one from the factory is 18-24 months.
If you were to buy one from the factory equipped like this one it would cost around $450K and you would have to spend two 5 day trips to the factory to participate in their builder assist program plus fly off the 40 hrs. or pay some one 7K+- to do it. All of the EX-3s(Built at Home) and FX-3s(Built at Factory) are amateur built aircraft so you must have participation in building one.
Hope this helps,
Jim

caryc

Hawkeye
Hey caryc,
As I have stated before I'm an open book and willing to share info to RF friends. We will have around $225-230K in the material and 1500 hrs+- of labor.
When finished and the FAA mandatory 40 hrs. flown off which is required for experimental amateur built aircraft it will sell for around $400-$410K. I know what you are thinking THAT IS CRAZY MONEY. I think the same thing. But there are a lot of high $$$ people out there that want these Cubs. The wait for one from the factory is 18-24 months.
If you were to buy one from the factory equipped like this one it would cost around $450K and you would have to spend two 5 day trips to the factory to participate in their builder assist program plus fly off the 40 hrs. or pay some one 7K+- to do it. All of the EX-3s(Built at Home) and FX-3s(Built at Factory) are amateur built aircraft so you must have participation in building one.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Thanks very much for all that info. I guess flying is a pretty expensive hobby.

One of the reasons I asked was that I was wondering where the people on those Alaskan shows get the money to buy a plane. I mean how much money can one make trapping fur?