A Crazy Thought about Polymer & 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Am I the only one who's thought of a Polymer 1911? Maybe it's a "sin" to even mention such a thing, but I found myself wondering why someone hasn't made one by now. What might the drawback('s) be?

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Now that Ruger is coming out with an AR style rifle, I'm hoping they'll come out with a 1911. Not that the market needs another 1911, but I'd love to have one that says Ruger on the side :)

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
ab4ka":2r0ch540 said:
Now that Ruger is coming out with an AR style rifle, I'm hoping they'll come out with a 1911. Not that the market needs another 1911, but I'd love to have one that says Ruger on the side :)

I would much rather have a Ruger Luger. If Ruger could make one for a reasonable price, then I bet they would sell a bunch of them. The 1911 market is saturated now. The Luger Market is not.

People are now paying $600+ for shooter grade lugers, with mismatched parts.

I would think that if Ruger could sell one new for $600-$700, they would do very well.

Charlie

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Leucoandro":1mpjde9x said:
ab4ka":1mpjde9x said:

I would much rather have a Ruger Luger. If Ruger could make one for a reasonable price, then I bet they would sell a bunch of them. The 1911 market is saturated now. The Luger Market is not.

I would think that if Ruger could sell one new for $600-$700, they would do very well.

Charlie

They do, it shoots .22LR...............

It would be nead if they made a 9mm MRK IV

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Leucoandro":agvt00d5 said:

I don't think anyone, including Ruger, could make an authentic Luger copy to sell for anywhere near that much. The Luger was an extremely intricate design requiring a lot of complex machining and careful fitting. Even using CNC machines the construction and fitting time would be prohibitive.

Even the Germans gave up on it after a few years when the much simpler P38 replaced it.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
I think the polymer Kimber was a double-stack.

As far as the Luger, Ruger has never made one. Stoeger made one for a while I think and Irma made them in .22lr. It was also in production in Germany through 1942 when P-38 production was fully geared up and Mauser was converted to producing the Walther design. It was in production for 42 years in various forms.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
22/45 Fan":2v0b2snm said:
Leucoandro":2v0b2snm said:

I don't think anyone, including Ruger, could make an authentic Luger copy to sell for anywhere near that much. The Luger was an extremely intricate design requiring a lot of complex machining and careful fitting. Even using CNC machines the construction and fitting time would be prohibitive.

Even the Germans gave up on it after a few years when the much simpler P38 replaced it.

A small company in Texas (I think Houston), that I believe is called Aimco makes a stainless Luger (as far as I can tell they still make it today). It sells for $700 to $800. I am sure if a small company can make and sell the Luger for this price, then Ruger should as well....Maybe not though.

Charlie

toysoldier

Hunter
Leucoandro":8zq7v1vb said:
A small company in Texas (I think Houston), that I believe is called Aimco makes a stainless Luger (as far as I can tell they still make it today). It sells for $700 to $800. I am sure if a small company can make and sell the Luger for this price, then Ruger should as well....Maybe not though.

Charlie

I found Aimco on the net, but no mentin of firearms. Another reference mentioned Orimar as the actual maker of the Mitchel reproduction. No luck there, either.

I would settle for a "luger-ish" pistol, especially if chambered in .357SIG.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Don't know if they still do, but Brownells used to sell parts, including polymer frames, to build what they called the "2011". It is/was a 1911 looking gun, but I believe was a double stack.

It may be based on an STI design. My memory is fuzzy. I thought about building one at one point, but then thought, "Nah..."

-- Sam

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Chief_10Beers":3ctsz7p5 said:
They do, it shoots .22LR...............

It would be nead if they made a 9mm MRK IV

The Ruger semiauto rimfire actually has more mechanically in common with the Nambu. about the only thing it took from the Luger is the basic grip angle.

What I really like is the Luger Toggle action. It is something trully different from the browning design that almost everyone else follows.

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
toysoldier":2zkc8um3 said:
I found Aimco on the net, but no mentin of firearms. Another reference mentioned Orimar as the actual maker of the Mitchel reproduction. No luck there, either.

I would settle for a "luger-ish" pistol, especially if chambered in .357SIG.

You are correct. It is Orimar that made/makes the Luger. It maintains the overall function and appearance of the Luger, but the parts are not interchangable with the original Lugers. I believe that they call them Generation II and Generation III models.

I have read that Orimar might still be in buisness. I read that they do not answer the phone, but if you send a fax, they will respond. Apparently the phone number for the Phone is the same for the Fax, and they use a switch to direct calls.

Also, if we have anyone in Houston, they might be able to say if the company is still in buisness.

I saw an Orimar for sale in 2003 for just under $500. I did not buy it, but wish that I had now. The older Lugers have some issues in large part because of the ability to manipulate metal in the early half of the last century is not what it is today.

Charlie

dakota1911

Buckeye
Interesting. I bought a couple of the SS Lugers when Stoeger was selling them.

r_Lugers1.jpg

As far as Ruger making a 1911, I would love it, but I think their casting division makes stuff for Caspian. Maybe an agreement behind closed doors. Sort of like you see SA 1911s, but not a lot of Imbels, since Imbel makes the parts down in Brazil. Yet in the rest of the world Imbel is big in the bang bang trade.

Latest posts