A couple old model blackhawk questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Are OM Blackhawk 41 mag cylinders the same length as OM 44 mag and OM 45 colt cylinders?

Were all OM 41 mag cylinders counter-bored, and if not, when was the switch made?

I am considering having an old model flattop 44 converted to 45 Colt. Is there any advantage to using a cylinder from an OM 41 mag? I'm wondering if the metallurgy- strength, heat treat methods might have been better when the 41 came along. Is this true?

I would like to use Buffalo Bore +P 325 LBT LFN and equivalent hand loaded ammo in this conversion. Would the cylinder be long enough, and would it take the pressure ( 32k psi or a little less)? I know the new model 45 Colts are no problem, but question the strength of the Flattop cylinder, as Ruger was new in the game when these were made.
Thanks

SAJohn

Hunter
I don't have answers to all of your questions but I do own one OM .41 and several OM flattop .44's. The .41 magnum cylinder is significantly shorter in length than the old .44's. My New Model .45 cylinder is about the same length as as the old .41 but it is not recessed.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the frame size,,,, I'd advise against converting a Flattop to 45 Colt using the loads you mentioned. While I have some of the models you mentioned,,, I haven't made any comparative measurements.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have an OMBH 44 Flat top converted by Bowen to 45 Colt. Nice shooter, but I do not intend to load it up hot.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Can't seem to call to mind all the particulars now, but it is my understanding that Ruger Single Actions were made so that cylinders would not readily interchange between calibers, i.e., a .45 cylinder could not be placed into a .44 caliber.

Bob Wright

P.S. In reading over this, I sort of missed my main point. What is meant is that a cylinder of a larger bore will not readily fit into the frame having a smaller bored barrel. Cylinders for smaller bored cartridges will fit into a frame made for a larger caliber, but then barrel/cylinder gaps become excessive.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
After further enquiry, Mr. Bowen told me that the loads I mentioned are safe in the old model flat top conversion. Guess, I should have went to the horses mouth to start with. Thanks for all the advice!

David LaPell

Blackhawk
If you want to convert a Flat Top, get one of the 50th Anniversary .44's and not deprive the world of an Old Model Flat Top.

contender

Ruger Guru
David,,, let him do as he pleases with his gun. Remember, he's only a temporary custodian, (As are all of us,) and if he converts a nice original Flattop,, it just makes mine increase in value.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
David LaPell said:
If you want to convert a Flat Top, get one of the 50th Anniversary .44's and not deprive the world of an Old Model Flat Top.

While I would not shed a tear in converting a pristine old model flat top, I would do my best to try to find an example in sad shape. I would really only need a good flat top frame and cylinder, so a gun with a buggered barrel or grip frame would be my first choice for such a project. I also learned from Mr. Bowen that he refuses to line-bore old models, so I still may choose to go with a 50th anniversary for this project.