A couple of unusual Vaqueros

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
Here's a shot of a couple of "old" Vaqueros in my collection that I especially like. Both are chambered in .45 Colt; the stainless model is a convertible that has an extra .45 ACP cylinder.

Can anyone spot what's different about them other than the faux ivory grips?

VAQUEROS-SMALL.jpg

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Honest answer here: I would say that the most interesting difference, that I can see, in these guns, is that most grip screws attach with the screw head on the side that you have pictured. Your grip screws are oriented in an opposite manner as compared to the norm.

Nice pic and guns BTW.

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
Aggie01":2csx3ws4 said:
Actions by Power Custom -> Half Cock notches.

Aggie, you hit it on the nose. What's different (from factory issue) is that these Vaqueros can be placed on half cock, allowing reverse-indexing to properly align the charge holes for extraction or loading by feel. In essence, the modified guns operate exactly like the old model Blackhawks and their Colt SAA predecessors. However, you can still load a full 6 rounds because of the transfer-bar action.

Ron Power of Power Custom offers these conversion kits for both the Vaquero and the Bisley Vaquero, both illustrated here.

P.S. - Danjoe - I altered the serial numbers in postprocessing the photo, eliminating the last two numbers.

Latest posts