A couple classic S&Ws: Updated w/Technical Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Thanks all. I'm glad to have these in my collection.

My latest mission was to get some replacement factory grips for the Chief's Special. I've come to "not hate" the oversized grip that's on it, but I like things as original as possible, so I went on the hunt for some stock panels that were of similar condition to the gun. Boy, was I surprised at the costs for original factory stocks...

After more research, I think my Chief's Special was made between 1966 and 1969. The serial#, puts it between 1962 and 1969 and it's not a "flat latch", which ended in 1966. I then found that there are "diamond style" grips, which were standard up until 1968...so mine *could* have had diamond grips installed.

So, I found a set of diamond grips in pretty decent shape for what I found to be a reasonable price...they need a little oil/cleaning, but the medallions are still pretty sharp and legible. In fact, the number stamped inside them is much higher than the serial# on my gun, so I'm thinking I made the right call to find a set of "period-possible" grips.

They look so much more appropriate on the little snub.
J-Frame(G)_R_Dia.JPG

J-Frame(G)_L_Dia.JPG

I also found a set of Pachmayr compact grips that fill the hand a little more, but not nearly as obtrusively as the "original" oversized ones. They might stay on the gun, but the key will be what Mrs. Aqualung likes best.

Even they look so much better and allow for use with the speed loaders I bought for it.
J-Frame(G)_R_Pac.JPG

J-Frame(G)_L_Pac.JPG

I'm ready to hit the range with them now...I loaded up 200 wadcutters for this and the K38 and and 50 125grn JHPs to try out to work in this one so I can load it up with the Federal +P 125grn loads I keep in the SP101 for Mrs Aqualung.

I'm seriously overdue at the range...I've got these two and a Walther P38 to test out!

Aqualung

Snake Pleskin

Banned

My latest mission was to get some replacement factory grips for the Chief's Special. I've come to "not hate" the oversized grip that's on it, but I like things as original as possible, so I went on the hunt for some stock panels that were of similar condition to the gun. Boy, was I surprised at the costs for original factory stocks...

After more research, I think my Chief's Special was made between 1966 and 1969. The serial#, puts it between 1962 and 1969 and it's not a "flat latch", which ended in 1966. I then found that there are "diamond style" grips, which were standard up until 1968...so mine *could* have had diamond grips installed.

So, I found a set of diamond grips in pretty decent shape for what I found to be a reasonable price...they need a little oil/cleaning, but the medallions are still pretty sharp and legible. In fact, the number stamped inside them is much higher than the serial# on my gun, so I'm thinking I made the right call to find a set of "period-possible" grips.

They look so much more appropriate on the little snub.
View attachment 5828

View attachment 5829

I also found a set of Pachmayr compact grips that fill the hand a little more, but not nearly as obtrusively as the "original" oversized ones. They might stay on the gun, but the key will be what Mrs. Aqualung likes best.

Even they look so much better and allow for use with the speed loaders I bought for it.
View attachment 5830

View attachment 5831

I'm ready to hit the range with them now...I loaded up 200 wadcutters for this and the K38 and and 50 125grn JHPs to try out to work in this one so I can load it up with the Federal +P 125grn loads I keep in the SP101 for Mrs Aqualung.

I'm seriously overdue at the range...I've got these two and a Walther P38 to test out!

Aqualung
good find on the period grips!

RSIno1

Hunter
They could be a set of Fuzzy Farrant grips. I've got a set on my Trooper and like them. Were those made for a lefty? It looks like the palm swell is on the left side. Fuzzy was an LAPD guy who made grips in his garage and had a big following in SoCal. The cop I got my Trooper from stepped up to a 6" Python. He bought the grips and then the gun. In 1968 when he sold me his 6 month old 4" Trooper (not a III) he included the new Python grips (and box) in case I didn't like the Fuzzys.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
They could be a set of Fuzzy Farrant grips. I've got a set on my Trooper and like them. Were those made for a lefty? It looks like the palm swell is on the left side. Fuzzy was an LAPD guy who made grips in his garage and had a big following in SoCal. The cop I got my Trooper from stepped up to a 6" Python. He bought the grips and then the gun. In 1968 when he sold me his 6 month old 4" Trooper (not a III) he included the new Python grips (and box) in case I didn't like the Fuzzys.
They very well may be. From what I understand,Bob knew a few folks in the industry during his time out there. He had his other guns engraved, was on a shooting team or two, etc.

They aren't specifically for lefties, as they fit my right hand very well.

Aqualung

A favorite classic Smith here for us:

zN3DxT3.jpg

One of the reasons to check out gun shows when they show up in that you never know what will show up. We weren't looking for anything specific but noticed this S&W 38/44 HD and got it out the door for $650.00 including the tax. It came with non correct magna grips so we switched the grips out for Altamont bonded ivory which we both find attractive. It is factory lettered to 1949 and was shipped to Wolf and Klarr in Fort Worth.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
So...I've got a S&W technical question...

The trigger pull on the Chief's Special is a bit heavy for Mrs. Aqualung's comfort. I'm not surprised, since I put in a Wolff #10 (or #12) spring in my SP101 to make it easier for her to pull in case she needed to.

Anyhow, I did some homework and found that in S&Ws, the trigger weight is determined mostly by the "rebound spring" and that the hammer spring is 8.5lbs (in Model 36s, anyhow). I've got a pack of Wolff rebound springs coming in the next day or so (5 springs from 12#-16#) and plan on giving them a try to get the right balance between DA and SA trigger weights.

So, my question is whether changing the rebound spring has any bearing on ignition reliability. I'm planning on keeping the factory hammer spring, so shouldn't have to worry about popping off primers, correct?

I still plan on shooting this gun a good bit before it gets relegated to a defensive role, but want to confirm what I think to be true about ignition.

Thanks.

Aqualung

Snake45

Hawkeye
The rebound spring has NOTHING to do with ignition. Changing it out might or might not make a difference in your trigger pull. It's a fairly cheap experiment at any rate, so drive on.

usbp sw

Bearcat
The rebound spring does not affect the ignition, it will affect the trigger return. The mainspring does affect the ignition and many people have made adjustments to either the mainspring or the strain screw to lighten the action. I don't recommend any cutting of springs, backing off screws or grinding down screws to improve the action. Shooting and enjoying the revolver is the best way to improve any trigger/action, it will wear in and smooth over time and will wear where it needs to, without polishing everything unnecessarily. That's been my experience.

JCK

Single-Sixer
They're just making sure there are no 9 or 10 shot cylinders!
Cats absolutely hate 10shot cylinders on revolvers, and are suspicious of humans that possess them…

We've, in my circle of association, have always been suspicious that Bill Sr. Hated cats. Otherwise, why did the RST and 10/22 hold 10shots?

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
As much of a Ruger fan as I am, I think the older S&W J-frames are hands down the most packable carry snub that exists

I have a mid-1980's Model 60 that I gave to my dad and he refuses to give back. With the factory RB Magnas, in a Bianchi 6 IWB holster that thing disappeared in pretty much any clothing and was light, and easy to carry. I carried a Bianchi Speed Strip as a reload.

My SP101 took over for it but it's just not as packable as that M60.

I may have to get an old Airweight Bodyguard to use strictly as a CC gun.

They are not very much fun to shoot, especially with +P and they aren't easy to hit with but they aren't target revolvers, they're point and shoot sub-10 yard defensive guns marketed to LE Agencies for Detectives, plainclothes, also civilian concealed carry etc I fired probably a box of .38 through the M60 and instantly knew it wasn't a range gun.

Reactions: JCK

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer

Aqualung
If you're shooting 200 rounds through that you'll probably want to keep the Pachmayrs on, trust me

Those magna grips are designed for concealment , not shooting comfort