A compromise on Mk I, II, III cleaning debate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jasperharley

Bearcat
A lot has been written about the difficulty of reassembling a mark II (or III etc) because the bolt pin alignment has to be perfect. After reading tons and studying my disassembled mark II, here is how I clean:

1. Remove mainspring and bolt

2. Keep receiver and barrel attached to grip frame

3. Run bore snake, clean out breach

4. Reinsert bolt, everything is already aligned

5. Reinsert mainspring

This way does not require a mallet, does not weaken or loosen the join between the receiver/barrel and grip frame, but does allow access to bolt parts, barrel, breach etc. Only downside I see is no access to trigger components, but I was not really cleaning those before either.

This seems overly obvious as I type this, but have not seen anybody mention it so I thought i would. If I am doing something that you think might harm the gun, let me know.

9x19

Hunter
I rarely remove the receiver from the frame to clean mine... simply isn't necessary... especially if you have access to compressed air. :D

TXRaidr

Bearcat
Thanks for the tip. I'll try this next time. I take down mine after every two or three sessions at the range. That bolt pin is the reason I came to the board! I've been an avid handgunner for a dozen years and have never had so much trouble with cleaning a pistol :(

russ69

Bearcat
Well that cures about half of the hassle. With all the changes to the Mark III you would have thought they could have made the process easier but the Mark III's are the hardest of the bunch to re-assemble?

Thanx, Russ

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Come on, guys, it ain't that hard to disassemble and assemble the Ruger MK's. Just follow the directions (the web is full of helpful sites dedicated to this) and take your time. A lot of powder and trash builds up in the lower and needs to be cleaned out.

rooger

Single-Sixer
I have been removing the receiver/barrel after every trip to the range but I have to admit, I do not like having to use a plastic mallet to separate it. But because I usually put around 500 rounds through my MKIII each trip, I think it's a good idea for me to take the cleaning process into those deeper places.
I guess the cleaning "debate" will continue because there is not one universal answer that will fit everyone's needs and desires. That being said, I am no really help at all, am I? Sorry.

Jasperharley

Bearcat
Yeah, it was the whole plastic malet thing that bugged me. Did it a couple of times and monitored how much diret was in the trigger/grip assembly and it was never all that much, so this will be my technique with the occasional annual full breakdown.

Tinman20

Bearcat
Have any readers on this forum installed the Volquartsen speed strip kit? It seems like a good idea, but I can't offer any practical knowledge.

Jasperharley

Bearcat
Really? Speed strip? It takes me one minute tops, and that is while I am watching TV. How much faster can it get? Do you have a link for this? I have visited the VQ site but never heard of this.

Thanks!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I haven't tried a Mk III yet to see if the "horror stories" are warranted, but I know my Mk II is a lot easier to field strip and assemble than I was led to believe before I bought it.

The receiver's been removed from the frame exactly once: when the gun was new, to do a thorough cleaning as I try to do w/ all my new guns. Since then, I don't see a need to remove it, as it may eventually loosen up.

When the innards need cleaning, I remove the grips so there's no plastic to be affected, hit everything w/ brake cleaner, then fire up the compressor. Even w/o compressed air, that drill gets the bad stuff out IME. Properly re-oil everything the cleaner's touched, both for lube and corrosion protection, and reassemble.

Works for me...

Rick C

raw6464

Bearcat
This gun can be taken apart with nothing more than a paper clip. You don't need a mallet... a few bangs on a towel and the receiver pops off. It takes me a total of maybe 10 minuets to field strip and clean the gun. The argument the gun is too difficult does not hold water if you take a little time to understand how the gun works. I have taken it apart over 100 times and the barrel to frame fits just fine.

I am not in the camp that believes a dirty gun is just as good as a clean one. The ONLY way to make absolutely sure it is clean is by field stripping. Lubrication is also easier. If I never field stripped and looked inside I would have NO idea if the gun was really cleaned or not. You can spray blind till your brains fall out but if you don't look you don't know.

Yeah I could probably shoot 10000 rounds thru it without a hitch... but I wouldn't want to buy one that wasn't cleaned proeperly... the performance and durability of the gun is a testimony to Rugers design, workmanship and quality components.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I've got two MKII KMK512's and have never taken them apart. That's not to say I don't want to. It's just that all the horror stories have kept me from doing it. Since they are 20 years old and have shot thousands of rounds, I think it's probably time.
I've watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks like it's just a matter of practice and getting the hang of it. I'll give it a try soon.

sheepman

Bearcat
Usually clean the MKII after 5 or 6 hundred rounds, the haves are only separated once a year unless the gun is dropped in dirt. The biggest problem is build up at the face of the barrel where the bolt hits. Keep the bolt oiled and enjoy, it is not a personal defence gun that needs to be clean and well maintained to ensure reliable operation when needed. Back in the 50s when Remington cane out with Clean Bore 22 ammo they had carnival shooting galleries that ran 100.000s of rounds through there guns with out cleaning (22shorts). With non corrosive ammo it does not hurt to leave a gun uncleaned (unless it is wet or muddy). JMHO : Bill :)

PS have had MKI,MKII and MKIII they just are not that hard to take apart and put back together (but I enjoy working on guns)

roca7

Bearcat
good post raw6464.
i've been using different type's of weapon's since i was in the military in the late 60's, and one thing i know is that you have to open them up to see what's going on. crud just build's up in different area's, and it has to be cleaned out. i carry either a sig or cz for self defense, and about once a month i field strip them, perhap's just out of habit.
i haven't owned a rimfire since pre-military until someone gave me a mk1 a couple of week's ago. i thought i was a smart butt when i stripped it down because i just rushed over some instruction's i found in this forum, and didn't watch all of a video someone posted on youtube. the gun was shot but not cleaned for 25 years. well, it took me 3 hrs. from beginning to end because i didn't want to read or watch a video a couple of time's. needless to say after the 3rd time field stripping it, no problem. the accuracy impressed me so much i went out and picked up a mk111target, which impressed me so much i'm waiting on a mk111competition i ordered yesterday.
got home from the range today and my mind was playing with me about if i was just lucky field stripping the target before i shot it because it was rather easy to do. it took me some time because i kept watching the NDvMSU game on tv, and if not for that, it would have just taken a little longer to do than one of my other handguns because i put a lot of round's through it without one problem.
i think we all have fear of the unknown, which in this case i think, will it work after i do all this? it will.
the mk's are fine product's and if you take care of them they will last a long, long time.
here is a link to the youtube video, and the guy make's it really look easy, which it seem's to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHJm2P4kP0
if the link dosen't work it's titled moe's videos.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
raw6464":3dosl08f said:
I am not in the camp that believes a dirty gun is just as good as a clean one. The ONLY way to make absolutely sure it is clean is by field stripping.
raw6464 ... I'm in the same camp with you! Although I'm sure that there are many undermaintained MKII's and MKIII's still functioning pretty well out there (a testament to the way that they are built) :roll:, I would never own any gun that I was afraid to properly clean and lubricate. With all due respect to the posters that have "alternative cleaning methods", the MKIII is easy to clean after you have practiced it a few times (mine gets stripped & cleaned each week). Come on guys ... man up ... jump in ... do it right :lol:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Geezer":344wrctq said:
Come on, guys, it ain't that hard to disassemble and assemble the Ruger MK's. Just follow the directions (the web is full of helpful sites dedicated to this) and take your time. A lot of powder and trash builds up in the lower and needs to be cleaned out.

All I want to do it remove the bolt on my Mark II, so I can clean it. I will blow the rest out.
Problem is I have never figured out the first step. I lift the lever in the back and there is where it all stops for me, can't figure out the next step.
Anybody got a link to a SIMPLE step by step group of photos?

raw6464

Bearcat
BuckJM53":471x5l45 said:
raw6464":471x5l45 said:
I am not in the camp that believes a dirty gun is just as good as a clean one. The ONLY way to make absolutely sure it is clean is by field stripping.
raw6464 ... I'm in the same camp with you! Although I'm sure that there are many undermaintained MKII's and MKIII's still functioning pretty well out there (a testament to the way that they are built) :roll:, I would never own any gun that I was afraid to properly clean and lubricate. With all due respect to the posters that have "alternative cleaning methods", the MKIII is easy to clean after you have practiced it a few times (mine gets stripped & cleaned each week). Come on guys ... man up ... jump in ... do it right :lol:

Well to some of us field stripping and cleaning the gun is all part of the sport and really enjoy doing it. :D But I can understand some people don't like too for whatever reason, it's their gun to do whatever they like. I not trying to be critical but where I differ I would not brag about not cleaning my guns?