A classic comes home: OM Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Under the category of "had to do it", a quick trip by the local toy store today with a pal resulted in him overlooking this OM Single-Six laying in the case. Fortunately, I didn't. The tag said $229, so I asked to see it. A quick check of the action -- click, click, click, Click -- then pulled the cylinder to verify it was 22LR and the bore was good. Externally, it only had an almost undetectable bright spot left side of muzzle, and what I thought were a few small spots that didn't look like rust but dried grease. Mmmmm. 30 seconds elapsed time 'til I asked for the paper work, which arrived just in time for him to walk up and say "hey what is tha...oooohhhh [], it's a 3-screw!".

Yep, a good rainy day. I already had a nice holster on hand for it. The serial number indicates it was made in 1966. It cleaned up real nice with a little lube and love.

Lookin' forward to a sunny day tomorrow.

HPIM4486.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
A Single-Six was the first handgun I bought after turning 21. It is a Liberty and I still have it, having fired 10s of thousands of rounds through it. Like many, I have always had a particular attachment to Single-Sixes since. I've acquired many Single-Sixes since then, but there is always a place for an unconverted OM Super in the collection as a nice shooter.

I'm suprised that the trigger pull seems a little heavy on this one compared to well used centerfires or my poor-man's-trigger-job NM Single-Sixes. I suspect it should smooth up after using it a while. This revolver appears to have been fired very, very little. I can always review my Kuhnhausen if need be. Too bad the box and Mag cylinder weren't with it (I assume it shipped with a Mag cylinder, no star).

flatgate

Hawkeye
VAdoublegunner":20p3np4r said:
I assume it shipped with a Mag cylinder, no star.

The Star Marking wasn't used until the New Model era. Most of those Super Single-Sixes were shipped as convertibles, but....... you should check with Ruger and get the data.

flatgate

wwb

Hunter
$229, huh? I'll give you $230 for it, and you can make a quick buck.

Somehow, I doubt you'll take me up on it.... good score.