A bit strange ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Watching Newsmax just now and they were talking about the US weapons pile being deleted. They were showing various video clips and this one caught my eye. It is a U.S. soldier pulling cartridges off of a stripper clip and inserting them into the magazine he's holding. Any ideas why he would be doing that?

p89WSTY.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Beats me but I’d wonder first if this was a “file photo” or “file video” they already had stored away for such occasions.

caryc

Hawkeye
I have a bunch of .30 cal carbine ammo all loaded in stripper clips. The clips just slide into the grooves in the magazines as pictured. No special tool needed.

FBW9QzQ.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
I assume the original poster meant 'depleted'...how and why would news outfits know the condition of our military weapons pile? Now that info would be 'top secret...and for good reason!

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
If it's an AR he needs a spoon to make the stripper clips work in the magazine.
Without the spoon you do what he is doing.
The spoon fits on the magazine and the stripper clip slides into the spoon.

Snake45

Hawkeye
And there's one included in every bandolier of 5.56 ammo. Or USED to be, at any rate.

caryc

Hawkeye
My stripper clips all have the little tool attached to them. I slides down to attach to the magazines. It doesn't really come off the stripper clip.

sIbBbCi.gif

caryc

Hawkeye
So, are the new ones made of gold or something? As I said I have thousands of rounds of .30 cal carbines all in cloth bandoliers and all the strippers have the spoon on them.

Dan in MI

Staff member
The new ones come with one spoon per X number of stripper clips. I'm going to guess your 30 cal are WWII era. All my 308 and 223 come 1 spoon per x strippers. The spoons also come with a safety pin to attached it to something so you don't lose it.
IMG_4809.JPG

Last edited:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"And there's one included in every bandolier of 5.56 ammo. Or USED to be, at any rate."
AFAIK They're still included. I guess if they're that short, I could ship them a few dozen.
FWIW, back in the old days some used to load a tracer 2-5 rounds from the bottom of the mag. That meant loading individual rounds. Some folks loaded all their mags by hand because they felt strippers caused feedlip damage.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
I have heard this story from other sources as well as this one. It may be speculation but, the story is that the U.S. has shipped tons of arms and munitions to Ukraine and has not replaced them. I think that you might compare it to the withdrawal of millions of gallons of fuel from the strategic fuel reserves without replacement. Either would appear to weaken and make the country somewhat more vulnerable.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Or, he may have only needed to top off a round or two. Why monkey around with the spoon and stripper when you only need a single round or two?

Aqualung

xtratoy

Buckeye
I've never had a spoon for AR15 magazines but over the years have found my share of AR stripper clips at shooting areas up in the woods. Someday maybe I'll find a spoon and reload some stripper clips and try it out.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I can see where 7.62 mm/.308 would not have the attached spoon, as the M14 had clip slots built into the receiver, or at least the T-47 did. )I think it was the T--47 that became the M14)

Bob Wright