A Beautiful Pair of .44s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AgentV3

Bearcat
My latest acquisition prompted me to post up, and this is a two for one deal. It was never my intention to own two .44 Magnum revolvers, but sometimes that's how things work out.

DSCF6012.jpg

My first specimen is a child of the 80's, a Smith and Wesson Model 629-1, this one with a Mag-Na-Ported barrel. Sadly, this one predates the Endurance Pack that was applied on the -2 models, but it's still in rock solid condition, and it surprisingly still has the original grips. This particular revolver came to be after having to return a New Model SBH that had been Frankensteined to the point that it was unreliable. Though I had defected on this one, sweet, sweet vindication was just around the corner.

Picture this, you put a S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum on layaway yesterday. It's almost mint condition, barely used, just has a Pachmahr rubber grip installed. You're now here to pay it out and take it home, a 4473 form is all that stands between you and your prize. As you are filling the form out, you happen to glance down into the case below and and spy this on the top shelf:

DSCF6033.jpg

DSCF6035.jpg

What would you do? I think you know. I think I did too :lol: .

I walked away with an absolute textbook Triple Screw Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk, with a non-prefix 4-digit serial number that puts it's manufacture year around 1960. It had been reblued, but everything else was in picture-perfect condition, even the original lockwork is intact, no conversion kit installed. Sweet, sweet vindication indeed.

One more picture of the ancestors together:
DSCF6037.jpg

Don't they just look natural together :D .

flatgate

Hawkeye
I dunno about that shiny thing but I sure like the Super!

Tell us more about the Super. Why do you think it's been reblued?

No sign of the Mahogany Case? Still, it's a NICE one!

flatgate

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I have two very much like those except my Smith is a 629-3. It is one of the endurance models that still had the older Smith features that we hold dear. I have at least one now of every major .44 Mag and can't seem to stop myself. My favorite Super Blackhawk is a new model from 1976. I like it better than my three screw. Can't ever have too many .44 Mags!

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
I've bought and sold a couple of 44s, and I've ended up with a S&W 629 Classic, a 4 5/8' SBH that I converted to Bisley, and a Freedom Arms 4 1/2" Premier Grade. I think I'm covered for 44s, but I won't turn down a good deal on one..

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I love all .44s but the Smith 29-629s are my favorite as far as double actions are concerned. Even though the grips work my hand over like a file with the sharp checkering and all.
Still I can't get a .44 Magnum off my mind or my breath either!

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I've got a 4 digit OM Super and a Flattop as well as a 5 1/2" Redhawk so I don't think you can have "too many" 44 magnums. I love it as an all around sidearm. Fun for small game, large game, and protection from predators. Definatley my favorite caliber.

trouble

Single-Sixer
My compliments! You can never have too many 44's or any other caliber for that matter!

street

Hunter
One .44 Mag is too many, if it's not a Ruger. If the .44s are Rugers then you can never have too many.

All Vaqueros are New Models even the Old Model Vaqueros are New Models.

AgentV3

Bearcat
flatgate":1erhsium said:
I dunno about that shiny thing but I sure like the Super!

Tell us more about the Super. Why do you think it's been reblued?

No sign of the Mahogany Case? Still, it's a NICE one!

flatgate

The gentleman who appraised it before the store purchased it was the one that told me it had been reblued, I wouldn't have known one way or the other, not really sure what to look for in a case like that. It didn't have the case with it, sadly, probably got lost or tossed long ago.

It doesn't feel like it's been used all that much, the bore looks very clean, and the action feels smooth as butter, and there's barely any play in the cylinder when fully locked up. Nothing moves when it's locked back and the points where it engages the notches in the hammer are very crisp. There were a couple of spots where it felt a little gummy, the cylinder retaining pin took some strength to pull out and the striker felt like it wanted to stick. I hit both spots with some gun oil and it freed it up pretty well.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm not trying to belittle anyone, however the wonderful polishing and finish work on those early "High Polish" Super Blackhawks have produced lots of "gotta be reblued" comments over the years......

Pull the cylinder out and inspect the breech face. It should show signs of "cylinder fitting" and not be totally blued.

168871231.jpg

A reblued OM Super Blackhawk.

168871214.jpg

An OM Super Blackhawk with it's original finish. Not the lack of blue where the breech face was squared off prior to installation of the cylinder?

flatgate

bangkok

Bearcat
Funny, because I picked up a Super Blackhawk recently just because the price was to good to pass and when I came back to do the paper work, there was a minty 629-1 with box and papers priced to good to pass up! So, now I have two .44's that I wouldn't have normally bought! :)

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I didn't know you ever had to many I own 4 44's and would buy another if I find a good deal on one. I have a variety of them 1 is a 3"29 and a 7 1/2" redhawk a 4 5/8" super blackhawk and a 7 1/2" super blackhawk I think I have the cal. covered pretty well. But I definately wouldn't pass up a bargain on another one.

AgentV3

Bearcat
And the plot thickens:
DSCF6062.jpg

I'm not 100%, but it looks like the finish may be original if this is to be believed.

What's your take on this, Flatgate?

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have an original Ruger Super Blackhawk with serial number below 5000. As I remember, without checking my records, I bought it used sometime in the 1960's. I could be wrong (haven't checked the book) as it has been a while :roll: .

I couldn't afford an S&W (they were bringing almost double retail and I was just a youngster with little money) and found this Ruger and made a trade. It had been used by a fast draw "fan" and had some holster wear. Soon after I got it I broke a firing pin. Examination showed that the feller who had it had dry fired it so much that he had worn out the firing pin bushing (it had a step in it). I called Ruger and they sent out a pin and a bushing. As I remember, the firing pin bushing was aluminum. It required fitting but was not difficult "if you have good hands". I have put several thousand full loads through that old revolver and it is still going strong. It is also one of the most accurate .44's I have (and I have a safe full of them). Really good piece of equipment.

I thought that I didn't need any more Ruger .44's but recently acquired both a new 50th Anniversary Flat Top .44 magnum AND a Lipsey Special 5½" revolver. These are both GOOD shooters, too.

Dale53

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I want a 629 Lew Horton snubby that Smith puts out on occasion. And also a stainless short barreled Super Blackhawk. Don't need them but WANT them!

grey_beard

Bearcat
Dale53":eua9nbsf said:
I couldn't afford an S&W (they were bringing almost double retail and I was just a youngster with little money)
Dale53

Let me guess...this was right after the movie "Dirty Harry" came out, right?

I recall the S&W prices went "through the roof" when everyone tried to get their hands on a M29.

My first center fire revolver was/is a M28-2.

-Greybeard

Dale53

Blackhawk
>>>Let me guess...this was right after the movie "Dirty Harry" came out, right? <<<

Actually, no. Dirty Harry came out in deember of 1971 (I googled it :mrgreen: ) and I traded for the Ruger Super Blackhawk around 1960.

Model 29 Smiths were high from the "git go". The demand far out stretched the supply. It was Smith's prestige revolver and they apparently thought that due to the price (an astronomical $140.00 :mrgreen: ) that only a few would buy them. Well, people bought them in droves (only to shoot them six times and put them away to bring out and wow the rubes). Due to demand they often brought double the list price. When Dirty Harry hit in the early 70's, I remember that they listed for $250.00 at that time and all of the gun shows had them for $500.00 and your dealer couldn't get one.

Finally I had a friendly dealer that promised to get one for me. I got a phone call, he stated it was an 8 3/8" and did I want it NOW. I said yes and picked it up that day with the cash in hand. I did not have to pay a premium for it. I later scoped it and took several deer with it. It would easily keep on a playing card at 100 yards off the bench with my cast bullets and reloads.

When the Ruger Red Hawk hit the scene I was able to get one promptly. I scoped it also and it was my bad weather gun for deer hunting. It is about as accurate as my Smith and i have taken several deer with it also. I reserve the heavy 300 gr bullets for the Ruger.

Agent V3;

I did not mean to high jack your thread. Those two revolvers of yours are two of the best EVER produced and you are a fortunate feller!!

FWIW

Dale53

Joni Lynn

Bearcat
You can never have too many 44 mags.
Actually you can never have too many of anything in the gun world.
Nice finds, congrats.

Somewhere around here I'm sure I have a 44 mag as well.