A 77 Hawkeye Semi-Custom

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OIF2

Single-Sixer
I posted this one awhile back; it came out very nice and shot well during the short range session I had with it. Now that I'm home again for awhile, I've had a chance to do some extensive testing with it, a customized 77 Hawkeye. I'm very happy with my "ought-six".

I wanted several features that I just couldn't find in a factory rifle, but I didn't want to go the full-custom route. I talked with Matt Bettersworth of Hill Country Rifles (New Braunfels, TX); Matt advised going semi-custom using a 77 action. It's strong, proven, has claw extraction and an all-steel floorplate-triggerguard assembly (something I wanted). It's also available in a lefty version, which clinched the deal. The integral scope bases were also a plus. I got a NIB 77 from Ruger and gave it to Matt for modification.

Matt added a .30-06 custom barrel with the same diameter as the factory tube. It was fitted into the original stock without too much work, but had a 24" length, which I wanted on my special rifle. The barrel was floated, after the action was bedded and glassed. The factory trigger was set at 3.5 lbs, which I consider perfect for a hunting rifle. I don't like light triggers for field work. A 1" Pachmayr Decellerator pad in red was added, with a 13 3/4" LOP. The stainless bolt handle was Cera-Koted. As a nice finishing touch, Hill Country engine-turned the bolt body. I added a 1 1/4" military sling; practical as well as retro. Warne double-lever mounts and a Leupold 2-8X Vari-X III completed the package.

I've now had this one a couple of years and have thoroughly shaken it out...it likes Federal factory 180 grain Nosler Partitions, which is what it'll stay zeroed for. When I get back this last time from overseas, I intend to take my 77 on a Newfoundland moose hunt. I now have the perfect .30-06 rifle; let me know what you think of my mods.
Bob

77 Hawkeye LH with a 1 1/4" 1907-style sling. Retro is good.
DSC_2077.jpg

The new Hawkeye has steel bottom metal; I wanted an all-steel rifle.
DSC_2079.jpg

A nice, recessed muzzle crown on the 24" custom barrel. The barrel is the same diameter as the factory tube.
DSC_2078.jpg

Bolt handle was Cera-Koted and the bolt body engine-turned. Both added a nice custom touch.
DSC_1063.jpg

A red, one-inch Decellerator pad was added. I like the red; it just looks better than the more common black pad.
DSC_1065.jpg

Warne double-lever mounts and a Leupold 2-8X Vari-X III completes the package. A great scope and mount set-up.
DSC_1066.jpg

Typical 5-shot group from my chosen load; Federal 180 grain using Nosler Partitions. I'm ready.
DSC_1292.jpg

Full-length view; the extra 2" on the barrel gives the rifle a sleeker look and better balance. A 24" barreled .30-06 is my ideal for a go-to rifle for general hunting.
DSC_2076.jpg

Otony

Blackhawk
I think it is perfect. Of course, being left-handed I am drawn to it in any case, but you have made what is probably the perfect all-around hunting rifle for medium to large game.

More than adequate caliber, the venerable .30-06

Proper barrel length, to utilize the cartridge more effectively.

Excellent recoil pad, for best comfort.

Aesthetically appealing appearance, to please the eyes.

And more than likely, improved balance.

Toss in the fact that it is a classic (blued steel and walnut) and it would be my pick, especially if a fellow were limited to a single rifle. Thank goodness we are not......yet.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Outstanding all-around rifle. I also put a Decellerator pad on my Hawkeye '06 - makes for a very comfortable rifle on the shoulder.
God Bless you for your service to our Country. Please be safe.
And enjoy that moose hunt, when you return. You've earned it! :wink:

Jeff

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
If you don't mind me asking, what did this work cost you? I have a couple of "donor" rifles I've been considering having this level of work done.

I noticed that you appear to be using Warne mounts. I've been using them on all of my rifles lately and really like them. They are rock solid. I still use Ruger rings on Ruger rifles, but for anything else I buy I go with Warne.

SR

OIF2

Single-Sixer
south_ridge said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did this work cost you? I have a couple of "donor" rifles I've been considering having this level of work done.

I noticed that you appear to be using Warne mounts. I've been using them on all of my rifles lately and really like them. They are rock solid. I still use Ruger rings on Ruger rifles, but for anything else I buy I go with Warne.

SR

Thanks for the comments... can't remember exactly what the cost was, but it was somewhere just north of $1200.00. The work done was simply exquisite. The rifle was bedded, pillared, glassed and floated after a new barrel was screwed in, chambered and turned down to factory diameter. A custom crown was also done. Action and barrel were matte-blued. Bolt handle was Cera-Koted and the bolt body was damascened. Trigger was set at 3.5 lbs and a red 1" decellerator pad fitted. Hill Country Rifles then test-fired the rifle on a 100 yd range for accuracy. If you look at the fitting of the pad you'll get an idea of the quality of work that was done. What's nice about this one is that it's still got the factory stock, which I won't be shy about using in the field. An exhibition-grade circassian walnut stock would make me very reluctant to use this one as a working rifle. But it still looks pretty good, I think. Kind of like an older M70. The Warne mounts work well with the Ruger action, are super-strong and add additional class to a really neat rifle.
Bob

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Nice rifle Bob.

I really like the Cera-Koted bolt handle, red pad, and nice factory stock. They give the rifle a......warm look/feeling. Very nice.

Iceaxe

Bearcat
That is sweet looking with those mods.
Especially like the work done to the bolt.

My first real rifle was a pump action .30-06.
Got it used and it was rusty and crusty.
sold it years ago.

So..
Just brought home a brand new Ruger M77 standard barrel in .30-06
Wood and blue steel.. naturally.
Cost was $570 including all the fees.
Put a Nikon 3-9 X 40 Prostaff scope(ebay $130) on it and a Butler creek sling on Uncle Mikes mounts(free, already had them) for starters.

Next is range time.

Might even be ready to join the boys for the deer hunt next season.
Always regretted selling that old pump .30-06 but this new Ruger is much nicer looking.

The mods you have made are way out of my league at this point but it is inspirational.

Definitely gonna hold on to this rifle for life.