A #1 collectibility question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
What's the consensus among #1 loonies here about which of the following rifles is more collectible/desireable?

a. A non-prefix (2XXX) 1B 22-250 with fairly nice wood
b. An early (130-011XX) 1V 22-250 with target scope blocks and nicer wood, but some dents and blemishes

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Duely noted. And I knew this intuitively, but thought there may be a a passionate "early 1V" contingent out there waiting to bid a low 130- prefix gun up to unprecedented levels on Brokegunner.com. ;-)

picketpin

Buckeye
You already know I'm odd man out on this one.

The 22-250 in "B" configuration is the single most common non prefix #1.
With slightly over a thousand made it's rare but there are lot's of things with a prefix that are rarer and harder to come by.

I'd sell my non prefix 22-250 "B" long before I'd sell my 132 "B" in 7x57, my 130 257 Roberts or about a dozen other prefix guns. You can't seriously think the non prefix 22-250 is rarer or more valuable than say the 6.5 Mag "B" with a production of 85??? It would be much easier to replace and cheaper than many other #1s WITH PREFIXES that I own.

Gee, I paid just about double for a 218 Bee "A" prefix rifle as I did for my last non prefix 22-250 "B". I paid double for my 22PPC and the 6mmPPC on GunsAmerica just went for more than ANY non prefix 22-250 "B" i have ever seen sell in the last 40 years.

Between the two rifles I personally would opt for the "V". First year of the "V" profile. All the features of the non prefix guns including the trigger, Douglas barrel and the butt stock with first stlye checkering and the first style butt pad. The only significant difference is it won't have a forearm diamond in the checkering but even that isn't critical. I have at least 5 non prefix guns that letter in 1968 and 1969 that do NOT have the forearm diamond and 2 others that letter to the 70s without the diamond.

Add to that that there are non prefix guns that were shipped all the way up to 1975....... One of my non prefix 6mm "B"s shipped in 1975 and has a mix of non prefix and later parts including the internals of the action that are probably of 1975 vintage. (THe cross bolt for the lever is slotted on both ends)

Now to the "V' Yours has the 12th lowest serial number recorded for a "V". It should letter to 1970. In that year production was 130-0001 to 130-01680. Granted probably not all were made and others with lower numbers may have shipped that year but lets just call it 1680 #1 as the total production of #1s in 1970. How many of that do we think were 22-250 "V" rifles. It probably didn't happen but if you divide that by the 12 calibers chambered that year and that makes it about 130 rifles in each caliber and that doesn't count variants/configurations.

If the 1000 non prefix 22-250s are spread out over 3years or 300+ a year, which is rarer???

Of course the problem really revolves around not having any production numbers ffom Ruger so in the end everything has to be an educated guess.

I have a real nice non prefix 22-250 "B" with diamond that I'll gladly swap you straight across.

the best

Ross

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'm inclined to agree with you at this point Ross. Based on my own ruminations and a note from Carl Ross, the first year 1V would appear to be the rarer rifle. And your point about the rarity of some of the other later rifles is well taken. Who among us wouldn't like to find a 1B 284 Win. or Liberty 1H 45-70?!
Regards
Lance

cafsman

Bearcat
I guess I see both points but have to agree with Ross here. No way would I trade my 6.5 Rem Mag in 1b, nor my 243 1v or 280 Rem/7mm Express in 1v (all prefix guns) for "A". It all comes down to what trips your trigger. I personally like the 1v series but always on the lookout for knockout wood. Passed on some three digit with "dead" wood in favor of putting my dollars towards those listed above.

Now, somewhere out there I here there is/are a .264 Win Mag. Beat, bent or dented, I would buy :lol:

salem103

Bearcat
Ross...was the No. 1 produced in .218 Bee in an "A" configuration? I know of "B" and "S"...tell me more about the "A"...thanks