9th annual Ruger Forum East Coast Gathering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobski

Hunter
you went thru the famous urban sprawl of nashville. down south is the mcmansion area where farmers sold huge tracks of land to developers and made a killing. nashville is line to be another los angeles as more and more business escape the east. some welcome it, some resent it. sometimes small is better because crowds bring their inner city issues with them....and it takes root and grows again elsewhere.
some say that entire loop will be developed within 20 years.

sorry once again i cant make it to your shoot gang. im once again holding the ruger shotgun shoot in mo and cant be there. one ofthese days ill make it.
if itll make anyone feel good to know, i shot my 9mm speed six for the first time here at the farm. trained my wife on it. its no longer unfired. had a blast.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Arrived in Forest City late last night. Travel takes a toll on my old.body lately. Sleeping in a little longer this morning to recuperate then to Owl Holler.

contender

Ruger Guru
bobski,, the welcome mat is always out for ya!

We could have let you shoot my Speed-Six in 9mm so yours could have remained unfired,,,! :D :D :D

Seriously,, looking forward to everyone this weekend. Be safe in your travels!

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
TY
Please wish everyone GOOD Shooting and good eating and I am sorry I couldn't make it this year.

contender

Ruger Guru
Pam,, Frank brought up your "hug" request, and was admittedly, reluctant in hugging the guys. BUT,, all of us know you are her with us in Spirit. We miss ya!

contender said:
Pam,, Frank brought up your "hug" request, and was admittedly, reluctant in hugging the guys. BUT,, all of us know you are her with us in Spirit. We miss ya!
Yeah, none of us guys hugged, but a big ole group hug to you Pam! As always the Friday PM supper that Penny put on the table was excellent! 8) :D We miss ya Pam. :cry:
gramps

Contender:
Hey, let me say again, thanks for hosting this year’s event, wow, the 9th year you’ve done this too.

This whole area is such a pleasure to be in as well. The hotel in Chimney Rock is great. It’s nice and close. Coming up on 74 from Ashville is quite a drive over those mountains and the Continental Divide. Pretty impressive.

But to see everyone, it’s so worth the drive from Texas. Fox Mike, Chollo, Gramps, Blume and RoninPA, what an absolute pleasure it is to talk with ya’ll and shoot some interesting guns. Can ya say Suppressed 45? :D man oh man....

I’ll post some pictures when I get home later next week.

And Contender, your range is fantastic. Kudos to all that you do.

Not to mention all the work Miss Penny does to feed us all. Thank you so very much!

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
The local Church of Christ is having a "Pot Luck" luncheon after the service this Sunday; I'm sharing my "DUMP CAKE" that some of you know quite well with them this year !!

Pam, I am jealous? We missed you on the range, the low country boil was scrumptious! As Kevin stated, it is great to get together with friends and shoot the bull and targets too in between drizzles. Thank you Contender and Ms Penny for being the consummate hosts! 8) Within 5 miles of home a doe ran into the side of my car, left a 3 inch scratch, but no deer for the freezer! :shock: :oops: :evil: Home safe and sound at 2300. 8) :lol:
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
I truly enjoy having all of y'all visit. And Miss Penny passes along the same sentiments as well. She & I were talking last night & again this morning about how much we do enjoy doing this.

Pam,, you were missed,, and thought of often. We do know what you mean about the dump cake. Danny mentioned he missed it too! He asked about you & wished you well!

Kevin,, the drive from Tx is long,, but I'm glad you feel it was worth it. Yes,, my area has some great scenery for folks not used to mountains, rivers & such. I forgot to ask; Which motel did you stay in? We've had a few of them change hands & I haven't gotten a handle on how they are currently run. I'm glad you motel was nice. And yes,, the ones in Chimney Rock are close to me, just more expensive than those in the other direction.

Blume was looking quite healthy considering his recent heart issues. I was truly glad to see him & how good he looked. The pictures above are GREAT!!!!!!! I took a few as were were gathered awaiting the low country boil to finish. I'm glad you got a bunch during the day!

Fox Mike & his 2 grandsons,, always fun. Trigger kept FM quite mobile,, and it seemed that every time I looked around,, he was either shooting,, or going back & forth with different guns to enjoy. I got to shoot a few of his guns,, and found them to be a pleasant surprise.

We had a few visitors as well. A local friend & frequent Gathering attendee was Danny,, who enjoys the group & such. He's a "lurker" here,, as he can't join due to the current new member issues. But he's managed to meet several members,, AND has managed a few gun purchases from good folks here.
Another visitor who was from Greenville SC,, and a member of the SA Forum run by Lee,, who occasionally lurks here too,,, came to visit part of the day. A prior family commitment kept him from staying late for the food. he goes by bcelliott over on the SA forum. A really nice guy,, who by all I could see had a good time as well. He & Blume were the only ones who challenged my "course of fire" USPSA style.

The steel targets seemed to be the most popular. Apparently,, there is something about the ring of steel when struck,, combined with the reaction of the steel,, seems to bring a lot of smiles!

This year,, the weather was actually pretty decent compared to what it had been. Friday we hit another record high day with the heat hitting 92-93 with accompanied humidity. NOT fun,,, but since most folks arrived friday afternoon,, it wasn't a big issue. Overnight,, a cool front moved in,, with a LIGHT drizzle,, dropping the temps to low 60's,,! A sudden change,, w/o the humidity that makes things miserable. All day,, we had a comfortable temp,, with only the very occasional VERY light misty drizzle. Never enough to make us scramble to put anything up. But by the evening,, a few folks were discussing the feeling of getting cold. Funny thing was,, I was in shorts, T-shirt, and of course,, barefoot,, and it felt quite nice! I was NOT cold at all. (That may be due to I've been working in all the recent heat & humidity.)

bobski; My Speed-Six 9mm is a 2-3/4" bbl.

There were some NICE guns to see,,, shoot,, and fondle. That 32 cal buckeye NIB,, or the customs,,, the .41 Redhawk, or several others were crying,, wanting to stay with me. But,, the owners wouldn't hear of it. Oh well,, all those sad orphans know my welcome mat is always out for them!!!!! :D :D :D

Contender wrote: “The steel targets seemed to be the most popular. Apparently,, there is something about the ring of steel when struck,, combined with the reaction of the steel,, seems to bring a lot of smiles! “.
Yep, plus not having to reset them kept us shooting! Oh yeah, BIG SMILES!!!
gramps

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Once again, one great weekend! Thank you Miss Penny for that great dinner. Thank you too Contender for hosting another great Gathering! The boys and I turned lots and lots of ammunition into noise. Got to connect with some old friends and meet some new. Arrived home about 0900 after leaving a bit after midnight (we like to travel at night. Less traffic and we can "fly low"). Made a cup of real coffee ln a real cup (the motel stuff was OK but...)

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I MISSED all of you guys too; I'll do my best to make it next year come rain, hades or high water. I'll also see of wizofwas can be poked up; I have his phone number.
Glad to say that my dump cake disappeared as rapidly at the Church Pot luck as it does at the Gathering.
Hugs to you all and especially Ty.

Once again I learned something.... this time it was to drive the gun while moving through the combat course..... I hope to be able to work on this in the future.... One of the best things that I have learned to accept is Contender giving his tips after you run his course.... being a guy it is at first hard to get past him telling you what you did wrong but then once you realize he is really serious about helping you improve and do better then you also realize it's time to stop and really pay attention.

the weather looked iffy all day but like he said.. only a light drizzle on occasion really more of just a mist. I ended up putting on a long sleeve shirt at the end of the day when it was time to sit down at the BS session.... glad I did.

I also have some video that I might be able to post on Youtube after I do some editing.

Cholo

Staff member
Another great meeting thanks to contender and Miss Penny! It's always a pleasure meeting RF folks! Lots of laughs and stories floating around. I thought Fox Mike would roll off his scooter when I showed him these 2 very short Youtube videos :mrgreen:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LONT1oboJrs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_P-oAfJz28

I encourage anyone to come on out next year. You won't be disappointed! :)

Latest posts