9mm Six Series which

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Which models were the Six Series produced in 9mm? Are they more desirable than the .357/.38 versions being more limited?

Thank you.

hittman

Staff member
Speed Six was for sure. Not sure of the others but don't think so.

Yes! More desirable and expensive.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yup, the Speed Sixes are most common. Here is some eye candy of the square butt Service Sixes with both types of recoil shields.

GF-92s-two-types.jpg

I've got a blue 4" too, but don't recall ever taking pics. I do have the prototype 9mm which was built on a lowback 4" Security Six, but there were no production 9mm Security Sixes that I am aware of.

Then here is a 9mm Speed Six that doesn't need moon clips, it has the Pilorget extraction system. Ruger didn't make many of these because the patent holder on that design was a French guy who wanted too much per gun for the rights.

Pilorget-Extractor-9mm-2.jpg

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I have both the SS 92 & SS 94 plus an SDA-94 LNIB. I'm getting ready to take some pictures of all of my "-SIXS" this week, I'll post a pic when I do.
Bob I remember when you bought that prototype, one hellava snag it was!!! and Pilorget also.

Terry

Last edited:

MinorLV

Ruger Six Series and DA Collector
The experts have spoken. I am similar to Terry…I have the Speed Six 2 3/4 and 4" as well as the Police 4". I have yet to see a Security Six 9mm.

Weaslemeatgravy,

As a six collector, I am awe of both the Police 2 3/4 pic and the Holy Grail…9mm with pilogret ring!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I have a note in my spreadsheet on the Pilorget Speed Six that says:

Pre-Warning SS92. Red box has barcode label, shipped late, shipper is poor fit but also has barcode label. Gun was sold from the Ruger Newport Engineering archive and has two metal inventory tags; earlier brass and later green anodized aluminum.

Guns from the 1970's don't usually appear in the online SN lookup, but because this was a very late shipped gun, it was entered into the database. But data is only as good as the person who entered it and I've noticed a lack of historical knowledge about the older DAs with the later generations of Ruger employees. So the description says it is a Single Six!

1659442822216.png

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I dug out one of my 4" blue Service Sixes, this one is interesting because it was sold as a Used gun with the U serial number suffix.
SDA94-158-18617U-1.jpg

SDA94-158-18617U-2.JPG

This one is also listed as a Single Six in the online SN lookup
1659454542276.png

My other one is a SDA94H with the Heavy barrel, made a few years later with a 161 prefix, but it is not in the online data.