9mm Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I recently read about a custom Single Six / 6 shot 9mm conversion.

Sure wish Ruger / Lipsey would take it up, I'd be first in line (just like with the FT .44 Spl)!

Even a 5 shot would be o.k.!

DGW1949

Hunter
If we're gonna day dream, how's about we make it a flat top .38Spl/9MM convertable with a steel XR-3 grip frame and walnut grips?

DGW

hittman

Staff member
Since they already produce a single action 9mm ........ what's the point?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
The POINT is this: the " single action 9mm " Blackhawk is a klunk of a pistol in 9MM compared to a light sleek Single Six in 9MM ! OhYeah !
On the other hand my custom OM FT single six will be in 9MMKURZ when all is said and done. You Betcha !!
And so it goes...

Bucks Owin

Hunter
WIL TERRY said:
The POINT is this: the " single action 9mm " Blackhawk is a klunk of a pistol in 9MM compared to a light sleek Single Six in 9MM ! OhYeah !
On the other hand my custom OM FT single six will be in 9MMKURZ when all is said and done. You Betcha !!
And so it goes...

Flattop Single Six? :?

DGW1949

Hunter
hittman said:
Since they already produce a single action 9mm ........ what's the point?

To me, the selling point would be the much smaller-handier size.
You know..... kinda like the difference in a square-butt S&W M36 and their M19.....or if ya want to compare the little SS to the big frame OM BH convertable, it'd be more like comparing a M36 to a M29.....and who has any need for an N-frame 9MM? :lol: .

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Everything is trending smaller these days; more power in smaller packages. So who knows, maybe someday.

Ruger finally produced a mid size 38/9mm so the Smith M36 vs. M19 is an apt comparison.

And why not make a new model Super Single Six flat top retro convertible 38/9mm?
EDIT for clarity: This just shows a flat topped .22 single six, not a .38 conversion.
orig.jpg

k22fan

Blackhawk
Jim;

I'm surprised to hear your answer. You posted pictures of a Single Six converted to .38 Special. IIRC they could only fit in 5 chambers yet they still had to cut away so much frame around the loading gate that it looked ridiculous. Without the rim Ruger would not have to cut so much metal away around the loading gate but as you know those little 9 mm cartridges have a SAAMI pressure limit 2/3 higher than .38 Special +P. I won't hold my breath waiting for Ruger to make a 9mm SS. The mid-frame is the logical choice.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You recall correctly and there's even 357 custom SSs. Oh I agree, the mid frame 38 is sufficiently small enough for me. But then I never thought I'd see Ruger bring back the mid frame, chamber the 327 in the Single Six, or bring out a 454 and 480 SA.

And I don't really see them making a 5 shot 38/9mm SS, but Ruger never stops "changing". Since the 38 is proven possible on the existing SS frame with a larger cylinder and w/o the great expense of retooling for another frame size, just asking why not? Many production guns have their roots in custom guns and calibers. The 38 cartridge is the most popular center fire by far. So a SS in that caliber has a lot going for it already. Predicted cartridge longevity has a lot to do with producing new guns. But the popularity of the 38 removes that uncertainty from the equation.

And for all we know, they may already have another frame size between the SS and mid frame on the drawing boards. But I don't really think I'll live long enough to see any of that. Although my son or grandson.....

DGW1949

Hunter
One of our Forum members had Alan Harton convert an OM SS to a .41 Spl a few years back, so I'm perty-sure the factory could do a NM SS .38Spl/9MM without too much fuss.

DGW

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Saw that! Pretty cool. Alan only did that on an old model.

Enlarging the loading trough enough, skeletonized the trough so much that on a new model, it cut into the transfer bar milled channel and exposed the bar so that it interfered with loading rounds. But that just adds to the coolness factor and challenge to make it work.

I have a .32 H&R Mag new model of course, and made convertible 327 FM and 32-20 'Short' cylinders for it that were much simpler. The 32-20 was a bit of a challenge but not much. Enlarging the loading trough for the larger rim, .015" more than the same size as 9mm (but .031" smaller than the 38 Spl) was nothing and did not skeletonize the trough. The cartridge length was not that big of a problem either for a reloader. I just deep seat the bullets like the old S&W 32 and 38 target ammo with bullet completely in the case, although I don't have to seat them that far. Or I just trim the cases 1/10" and seat the bullet to normal depth.

A 9mm at 35,000 and 9mm +P at 38,500 ANSI/SAAMI doesn't seem to be much of an issue in a standard size single six 5 shot cylinder. An uneven # of chambers of course moves the cyl notch (the weakest link) to between the chambers. Considering the 327 Fed Mag is 45,000 ANSI/SAAMI.

But that's not the whole story; while the 327 chamber wall thickness is .070", the chamber wall for a 9mm chamber is reduced to .044". Is that a game changer with the 9mm's lower chamber pressure? I don't know.

Anyone have a Single Seven that can give us the chamber wall thickness between 327 chambers?

But even making a single six cylinder .052" larger in diameter to obtain a .070" chamber wall (removing .026" from the top strap and bottom of the cyl window) seems like a minimal factory alteration. But again, there's retooling costs.

And that would easily put the 38 Spl even 38 Spl +P at only 18,500 on the table for a convertible.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer

I'd buy a retro super single six in 9mm. This 32 Maggie is super fun and cheap to handload for but 9mm sounds perfect for this little frame revolver. Store bought 9mm is easy on the wallet too.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Thank you Sir! Couldn't have completed that project without your help!

Build the 9mm and do a "how to" thread for those who'd like to see how it's done.

Iglo73

Bearcat
Pretty sure if Ruger would issue the SS in 38SP, I would buy one.
Preferably 5 shot!

Conversion cylinder 9mm nice to have, but kinna useless for decent shooting.

k22fan

Blackhawk
jeffer said:
I wonder what they wil do for a single 8?
Bring out a Single 8 .25 ACP? Don't laugh. The days of getting a 550 pack of Federal 36 grain .22 LR out Wal-Mart's door for under $9 are long gone.

I got a set of carbide .25 ACP dies in a big box of reloading tools some time ago. I want to reload the cartridge but I've never seen a gun that I was confident would be accurate.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you don't mind considering 32 ACP, recognize it's a semi-rimmed case that chambers properly and shoots very well in a Ruger 32 H&R Mag single six, or a 327 Single 7 (although it has a bit longer bullet jump to the cyl throats.)

In addition, one could also ream one of the blank small frame cylinders on the market to a dedicated cyl for .32 ACP. You'd have a one of a kind convertible.

An 8 shot 25 ACP is not hard to make either. Story makes an 8 shot .22 cyl drop in for Rugers that can be reamed for the .25 cartridge. Of course one would need a .25 cal. barrel; either a reworked Contender barrel, in .25-20, old piece of .25-20 rifle barrel, or a custom .25 barrel.

reloader

Single-Sixer
How about necking down the 25 acp to 17 or 22?
I used to have a set of steel dies for 25 acp about 35 years ago.
Loaded up about 1000 rounds and figured that was a lifetime supply and sold the dies at a gun show.
Made an incredibly lucky shot with one once with a Bauer 25 auto. Arrived at a shooting pit late and a bunch of friends were shooting at a shotgun shell standing up at about 100 yards. They were all part of a SWAT team and using AR's. Jokingly I pulled out the Bauer and gave it a bunch of elevation and pulled the trigger. I pretended that I knew it would hit it all along.....Still have a bunch of those loads.

Latest posts