9mm powder charge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

262runner

Bearcat
I am going to start reloading 9mm, I have Win small pistol primers and Bullseye powder. The Alliant website says 4.7gr with CCI primers. My Speer says 4.2-4.7 and my Lyman says 3.5-4.8. This is for a 115gr Rainier jacketed bullet. I did a search but nothing really came up with an answer to this question. BTW this will be shot from my P95.

Thanks to all.

bearing01

Bearcat
I use 4.1 grains of Bullseye with 115 grain Copper jacketed bullets (like Rainier or Berry's).

The Alliant or Speer numbers are the maximum loads for FMJ bullets. You don't want to load maximum. Keep it a bit below to ensure that if you get variation of 0.1 to 0.2 gr throughout the lot, or other variations in brass or whatever, you will still be safe. You may also be a bit more accurate when loading below maximum.

Lyman says 4.8gr is the max Bullseye load for 115gr Metal Jacketed bullets
Lee says 5.0gr is the max Bullseye load for 115gr Metal Jacketed bullets.

If I want a more powerful round I don't up the bullseye powder charge. I instead use a different powder. 6.0gr of Alliant Power Pistol with 115gr copper bullet gives a nice deep bang. My favorite 9mm load.

262runner

Bearcat
Thanks for the info 01, I've reloaded 38 and 357, but never anything for a semi auto. From what I've read I need to be careful on the crimp. Thanks again.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
262runner":2xf3w0w1 said:
This is for a 115gr Rainier jacketed bullet.

Hi,

Is this actually a "jacketed" bullet?

I'm only familiar w/ Rainier's copper plated bullets. They should be loaded using lead data for best results. A lot of lead data is for 124-125 gr bullets, and has worked well for my using 115 gr plated bullets...

Rick C

bearing01

Bearcat
Rainier is copper plated. You typically use lead bullet loads for copper plated. Using a heavier bullet's powder recipe for a lighter bullet is okay.

runner,
9mm Luger has a tapered case. The cartridge head spaces off the case mouth. Make sure you don't roll crimp the case mouth and you'll be okay. Also, it's normal for reloaded 9mm to come out looking sort of coke bottle / hour glass looking. This is where the bullet is pressed in the case that is resized smaller than the bullet. Remove your gun's barrel. Drop your loaded round in the barrel breech. If it falls in and out of place smoothly without getting hung up then you should be good.

Latest posts