9mm Cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Gentlemen, I have recently purchased a 9mm cylinder for the only OM 357 I have left, a flattop. It is according to my feeler guage about .03 to short. My question, is that .03 to much to shoot it with? My ammo is just common fodder, nothing exotic or powerful. I want to see how accurate it could be before I buy the bearings. The only bearings they sell are .02 each, so it will have a small amount of slop after the job is complete. I can and will purchase bearings from Brownells. Which ones do I buy? the ones for a Colt SA?

Ron

DGW1949

Hunter
Increasing endshake is never a good thing.
Inreasing B/C gap aint a good thing neither.
And FWIW, .03 is way too much gap for either.

A Colt SAA "shim" is sized for the OD of the Colt/Uberti cylinder bushing. No way will that same shim work for a Ruger.

Some folks use a collar-stretcher tool to decrease endshake. But that is when the needed decrease is measured in thousandths....not hundreths.
That aside, the proper fix is to modify the cylinder so's a longer collar can be fitted.

If your B/C gap is off by .03.... that particular cylinder aint going to work right without setting back the barrel...which in turn means that your original cylinder will then have to be re-fitted also.....and the ERH Ass'y.

In other words.....
If the measurement you gave in your post is correct, my gut say's you'd be money ahead to just buy another one.

Wish I had better news....but wow, .03 is a bunch of gap.

DGW

RonEgg

Blackhawk
OK DGW, I went back and remeasured. With my CRS problem and tri focals the measurement is .003 between the end of the gas ring and the frame. Much different.

DGW1949

Hunter
OK....well, yeah....that does change things.

.003 is excessive....leastways, it is in my book. I like .001-.0015...but 002 will do.
A lot of factory SA's run around .003 (or more) though, so your's shouldn't be much of a problem......provided the barrel aint too far from (or too close to) the cylinder.
All in all, If all you're doing it giving it a test-run, I'd say stick it in there and give it a go.

You can fine tune it later.

DGW

Latest posts