9mm "accidentally" goes off at Florida range.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Messages
2,114
Not to make light of the accident but I can't believe a Jennings could shoot three rounds in a row without jamming.

The gun must have gone full auto, I've saw this recently with a guy and his 1911. He was smart and kept it pointed downrange until the mag emptied.
 

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
90
Doug.38PR":2p2mqgw5 said:
I can't think of anything except a careless finger and/or a filed down sensitive trigger job.

Any thoughts?
Yeah. It's a Jennings. Look up "Saturday Night Special" on WIkipedia and you'll find a Jennings.

BTW, Jennings was bankrupted after a $24 million judgment stemming from a different range firing incident.
 

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
193
but still, even a Saturday Night special piece of garbage wouldn't just fire on it's own without something being applied to the trigger. Even a full auto doesn't just start firing without something being applied to a trigger
 

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
90
Doug.38PR":2c7z7bst said:
but still, even a Saturday Night special piece of garbage wouldn't just fire on it's own without something being applied to the trigger. Even a full auto doesn't just start firing without something being applied to a trigger
Don't put too much faith in these POS.

I had a friend with a craptastic Jennings that told me Jennings said you put the safety on FIRE to chamber a round, then SAFE after chambering.

He found this out after he loaded and chambered a round with the safety on SAFE.

When the safety was switched to FIRE it would go off without touching the trigger.

(It is now in pieces mixed with medical waste in a PA landfill.)

Another guy related his buddy's g/f had one and they took it to the range, He fired a magazine though it and it was all he was brave enough for. About 25 rounds into the session the slide came off the frame and they couldn't figure how to put it back on.
 

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
445
Jumping Frog":7z1u69lp said:
Yeah. It's a Jennings. Look up "Saturday Night Special" on WIkipedia and you'll find a Jennings.

BTW, Jennings was bankrupted after a $24 million judgment stemming from a different range firing incident.

I do not believe that is correct. The judgment against Jennings was that Jennings was at least partially responsible for a shooting because the safety could not be kept on on the gun while the chamber was cleared. (Same problem Glock, Most Sig's, 1911's and Decocker pistols have).


The incident occured because the babysitter somehow came across the handgun of the childs father he/she was babysitting (It is unclear if the child found it and brought it to the babysitter, or if the babysitter was going through the family's belongings). The babysitter decided to unload the handgun. While the babysitter was attempting to pull the slide back, they pulled the trigger. The gun fired and the child was paralized for life.


Charlie
 

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
337
Doug.38PR":2pz946t0 said:
I can't think of anything except a careless finger and/or a filed down sensitive trigger job. Any thoughts?
The bigger issue here IMHO (and the one that drives me crazy :evil:) is the fact that the shooter obviously broke the #1 rule of gun safety. If the gun had been pointed in a safe direction when it went off (no matter who the manufacturer was or what problem the gun or the shooter may have had), no one would have been injured.
 

shaner

Bearcat
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
89
BuckJM53":2s8qwqe7 said:
Doug.38PR":2s8qwqe7 said:
I can't think of anything except a careless finger and/or a filed down sensitive trigger job. Any thoughts?
The bigger issue here IMHO (and the one that drives me crazy :evil:) is the fact that the shooter obviously broke the #1 rule of gun safety. If the gun had been pointed in a safe direction when it went off (no matter who the manufacturer was or what problem the gun or the shooter may have had), no one would have been injured.

i was thinking the same thing as i read down thru the posts , its not a product issue here ,it could be a 100 dollar piece of crap or a 1000 dollar custom pistol , when you screw up it dont matter what it is , someone gets hurt, and some one must have screwed up here???
 

Badwolf

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
6
At my indoor range there are steel sheet metal plates above where the shooter stands at the front of the lane. THe plates are angled away from the shooter to deflect an accidental discharge down the lane. There a bunch of holes in these plates ranging from 9mm to 12ga. I'm thinging that accidental discharges at ranges are more common than we expect. :shock:
 

Rat76

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
54
Sorry guys, this one may not be entirely the fault of the operator;

BRYCO ARMS
Model Jennings Nine,
9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%202.htm

Remind me to NEVER buy a Jennings.
 

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
337
Rat76":2pem6053 said:
Sorry guys, this one may not be entirely the fault of the operator;

BRYCO ARMS
Model Jennings Nine,
9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent bases. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls%202.htm

Remind me to NEVER buy a Jennings.
Rat76 ... While I agree with you that a faulty gun may have been a contributing factor here ... the shooter is still ultimately at fault here because he (or she) obviously had the gun pointed in an unsafe direction!
 

Rat76

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
54
Oh I agree 100%. Ultimately we are responsible for the safe handleing of our firearms.

With a POS gun one has to be extra aware. I have a very well worn Stevens 87 that was my Grandfather's. If that hair triggered, slam firing piece of junk EVER goes to the range again it will be treated like it was this Jennings. In other words, always pointed down range & held firmly unless known & double checked to be empty.
 

resident

Single-Sixer
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
412
BuckJM53":2q8h5fxq said:
[...
Rat76 ... While I agree with you that a faulty gun may have been a contributing factor here ... the shooter is still ultimately at fault here because he (or she) obviously had the gun pointed in an unsafe direction!

It was a child that accidentally shot another child. The idiot at fault was the gun owner who left a loaded gun where children could get to it.
 

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
490
Doug.38PR wrote[/quote]I thought Hi-Point guns or Pheonix were the Saturday Night Specials_
Putting a Hi Point in the same class as a Jennings is just plain wrong. Hi Points work. :)
 

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
112
Where can I find one?
I would love to have one of those:)

Think about it, a legal, full auto, 3-shot burst for $100 and no class III or pre-ban, etc, etc...
I want one..., I want one..., I want one.......
 

Mike J

Hunter
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
3,497
Go dig around at pawn shops or gun shows Wayne. They made so many of those things there is not telling how many are still floating around out there.
 

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Messages
112
Thanks Mike:)
Honestly, I was just being sarcastic..., my shot at humor, LOL!!

It would be nice to have legal "double tap" guns though:)
 

Latest posts

Top