9MM 124 G NATO Brass Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gander

Bearcat
Bought some Win. 124G NATO ammo to try in my P95. It appears to have crimped in primers. What do I need to reuse the brass for reloading? Will my RCBS primer punch remove the crimped in primers? If not, what will I need to knock out the spent primers and ream the holes to fit small pistol primers? Just trying to see if it's worth the expense to try and save the brass for reloading. Thanks for the replies.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Some people decap with their dies and do ok. Sometimes the primer pin or stem will break. RCBS has a HD universal decapper which will do them. I have used a Lee hand deprimer punch you hit with a hammer to do some. Then you need to ream or swage the crimp.

DGW1949

Hunter
I've not broken anything while removing crimped-in primers with standard RCBS dies but maybe I'm just lucky. At any rate, getting them out aint the real problem. The problem is that you gotta either swage-out ot cut-out the crimp.
Way back when, I tried various swager tools but wasn't all that impressed with the results from any of them. To me, the easier/faster/better way is to simply cut them out. For that I use my old Wilson chamfering tool.....which I'm perty-sure is the same tool currently being sold by RCBS, Midway and who knows who. Same tool....but marked with the name of whoever is marketing it. Anyhow, said tool has a steep, tapered cutting surface...which means that it ONLY cuts off the crimp and leaves behind a slight bevel just on the outside edge of the primer pocket, right where the crimp used to be.

Preping a military case for reloading is a one time operation. Some folks don't mind the extra work but some thinks it's too much trouble. Then there's the aspect that it's real common for military brass to have different internal deminsions than commercial brass.....meaning they often has less actual case volume. So work up your loads accordingly.

Hope this helps.

DGW

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I dislike using NATO brass. Seems like it takes forever to remove the crimp, and even then, primers are extremely tight.

I use the RCBS Primer pocket reamer. At the end of a session, my hands are useless!