9e misfiring champion.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Ok, one more thing. Do you suggest getting the smooth it kit to lighten the trigger pull after installing the heavier striker spring?
That's up to you. I personally did not. I think the 9E actually has a decent trigger pull as is. I did buy the metal recoil guide rod and spring.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
That's up to you. I personally did not. I think the 9E actually has a decent trigger pull as is. I did buy the metal recoil guide rod and spring.
Awesome thanks. I think I'm gonna get the kit with the metal indicator rod for the striker and the guide rod spring. Not sure exactly what the ultimate trigger bar they sell is supposed to do but the metal rods definitely make sense. Once again thanks for the help.

Mike J

Hunter
I know cleaning the pistol was suggested but I would run a pipe cleaner through the striker channel & clean it. I would not put oil in the striker channel though.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
Here's a little update.
I bought this stuff below from Galloway precision as suggested above.

Smooth It Trigger Kits for Ruger® SR9®, SR9e®, SR9c®, SR40®, SR40c®, SR45®, Kit: Kit 3
1​
$54.00​
$54.00​
Heavy Striker Spring for Ruger® SR9®, SR9c®, SR9e®, SR40®, SR40c®, SR45® Pistols
1​
$17.50​
$17.50
Finally got to install it this weekend. I also gave it a thurouggh cleaning, including pulling the trigger assembly and cleaning and lubing that. Went and bought more of the same ammo I was having problems with. I will have to go fire it next weekend to see if it fixed anything. The smooth it kit lowered my trigger pull a pound from 5.8ish to 4.8ish. I opted to leave the magazine disconnect safety in the gun. If the gun still acts up I'll remove that disconnect safety and see if that helps. I'll update when I do all that. If it still doesn't work I'm throwing it in a lane for some magnet fisherman to find.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
My SR9c had some issues. I sent it to Ruger for repair. After it came back I decided to clean the striker channel. There was a lot of debris, probably from production, including medal flakes in the striker channel.

After I cleaned the striker channel (Q-Tip works fine) it has been flawless.

Charlie

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
That's good to hear. I cleaned it really well when I put the new parts in. I'm going to the range in the morning with the same ammo I had problems with. Hopefully that helps.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
My SR9c had some issues. I sent it to Ruger for repair. After it came back I decided to clean the striker channel. There was a lot of debris, probably from production, including medal flakes in the striker channel.

After I cleaned the striker channel (Q-Tip works fine) it has been flawless.

Charlie
Took it to the range today shot all 100 rounds of the Winchester USA 115gr fmj that was giving me trouble. I had one round that did misfire at first. I put it back in after a few more rounds and it fired.

Jawbone75

Fatboy from Texas.
Update. Thanks for all the help and wisdom you all shared with me. I cleaned the weapon when I put in the Galloway heavy Striker spring and the #3 smooth it kit that comes with a new blocker spring, polished plunger and polished striker indicator. I bought a hundred rounds of the problematic Winchester USA 115gr FMJ and they all fired. I had one that misfired at first but I put it back in after a bit and it fired too. I shot some more after that and not another problem. I can't say if the Galloway stuff fixed it or cleaning it did. It was a lot dirtier than I thought. In any case it seems to be working now.