96/44 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the other dws

Bearcat
Just acquired a near mint 96/44. I'm poking about here and several other on-line resources for information on the care and feeding of this new little beast. I've put about 40 rounds through it so far. Found that the PO had probably never shot it. The scope was not as tight as it needed to be in the rings. Took half a box to get it onto a 5x7 paper at 100 yds.--but managed to keep'em there once it was adjusted. looks like 4 shots in about 3 inches with the Fed Am Eagle 240 stuff. may go back out tomorrow with a proper bench rest setup. just shooting off the elbows on a wobbly old bench had to hurt too
Problems/issues:
A} real poor trigger-- long takeup and then a stiff irregular pull to the break I suspect a good clean breaking 3.5/4 lb trigger alone would trim groups by close to a half. Anyone know what it take to do a good trigger job on'em---I'm wondering it they used 10-22 trigger parts in these rifles?
That'd simplify things a lot.
B} the stock is------er---functional. too short for my length of pull and only a Ruger cost analyst could love its looks. I'm looking for a source for a decent mansized walnut replacement---better yet a Intl-style one like I've seen in one of the posts on the site.
C} magazine capacity. the factory one is fine for hunting but a PITA for range work. I have been looking for additional mags but MIdway shows them as out of stock---any other sources??
I heard an e-rumor that someone was fitting Desert Eagle 44m magazines in to the gutted factory magazine. not sure I need a cowboy assault rifle but its an interesting concept. anyone have any info on the conversion?
D} custom barrels. has anyone experimented with a custom barrel, maybe a little more diameter for stiffness and changing twist for more accuracy with different weight bullets? Generally factory twists are a compromise and I'd guess the factory barrel in the lever guns was predicated on the requirements of the more common semi-autos functional needs with jacketed 240s.

wwb

Hunter
I have a 96/44 that I stole ($250) about 5 years ago..... sold an original .44 Carbine 'cause I was concerned about breaking something on it and being left high and dry. Still think I shoulda kept the Carbine, but that's life.

The trigger - some work with a 1200 grit stone and a coating of
Gunslick will smooth it up.... still lots of overtravel and a little creep, but at least it's not gritty anymore.

The LOP on the stock..... PM me and I'll fix you up with a 3/4" extension that kinda looks like a recoil pad.... but it ain't - it's as hard as a woman's heart. With all the heavy clothing I wear when I hunt in Minnesota, I don't need it.

Mag capacity.... like you said, it's okay for hunting. At the range, I leave the mag out and single load. Patience will pay off..... sooner or later, Midway, CDNN, or Natchez will have the mags in stock.

Custom Barrels.... anybody can get one if your wallet is thick enough... but this is realistically a 75 yard gun, and if they're all on a pie plate offhand at 75 yards, what are you gonna gain? It ain't a beanfield rifle.

the other dws

Bearcat
"It ain't a beanfield rifle." yeah a custom barrel might be overkill and minute of deer is what they are designed for, but "tinkering" with perfectly adequate guns seems to be my middle name.

I've see the stock extenders, in fact I have a slip-on limbsaver one that'll adjust the length in one of my bit's-n-pieces boxes. but life is too short for ugly guns.
It isn't just the textureless birch with its muddy stain, the shape is like it was carved in jello and has started to melt. I'm not saying it needs 5x wet-you-pants fancy walnut but even the 1-22s can be ordered with a halfway attractive "deluxe" simple walnut stock.

I figured the trigger could be improved with a bit of stoning and some Action Magic maybe some reaming and oversize pivot pins; but am hoping that maybe someone has experimented with after market parts.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Aug10_03.jpg

I have a 96/44 and a Deerfield Carbine recently purchased. They both shoot great, they aren't tack drivers and weren't meant to be. To me they are over-sized plinkers, fun to shoot and reload for and damn good at close range for hog or deer in brush, although I never shot one yet.

I love the slick lever-action of the 96/44 and wish they had made them in 357mag and 41mag. They are what they are and although I have thought of modifications also I just go out and enjoy shooting it. The best advise I can give you is to keep the receiver snug in the stock, (I wrapped some aluminum tape around it) and keep the barrel band only snug or almost loose because the barrel heating-up will sometimes cause vertical stringing. :D

This is the stock extention talked about:

http://www.combathunting.com/Ruger_10_2 ... ttpad.html

...JImbo

pricedo

Bearcat
I'm getting 2" groups with the Winchester 240 grain flat nose soft points.

Tried 240 grain Federal HPs & they kept hanging up in the action.

Mounted a 1.75 - 5x Bushnell Trophy scope on the thing & it makes a respectable, fast pointing, close range whitetail, black bear or pig gun that you don't mind carrying around all day.

The trigger is creepy & mushy & leaves a lot to be desired and I find I get my best accuracy when I "snap" fire the gun.

For a light utility brush gun the Ruger 96/44 is OK.

I got mine second hand (had a few scratches on the wood but the metal was pristine) for $125 CDN so it wasn't hard on the pocket book either.

I put a slip on recoil pad on mine both to add length, and to keep the curved butt from slipping on my shoulder. I guess you could call it butt-ugly! But it really fits good now. I would love to find a timber camo laminated stock for it, regular or mannlicher. I have a 2.5 leupold on mine and it shoots Hornady XTP's over H-100 to minute of bear.