96/17 Input Please:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevek44

Bearcat
I have a chance to get my hands on a new 96/17. This is a new factory fresh in the box firearm with a price of $379.00, and I think I'm going to take it. Can anyone give me a little input on this gun. I've been looking for one of these for a while without much hope of finding one, so when this thing popped available it kind of threw me for a loop. Anyway, has anyone had any experience with Ruger's lever guns?

Thanks..SteveK44:

stevek44

Bearcat
Jeff:

Thanks for the superb review, it came at just the right time. I stopped by my local dealer today and they had just gotten my new 96/17 in from UPS. I had the chance to handle the gun and was very pleased. Unfortunately I have to wait until Thursday to pick it up, so the next few days will plenty long...

I plan to put a scope on this little honey, would you have any suggestions? I'm looking at the Nikon Prostaff at Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=149715. May I ask your opinion of this particular optic?

Thanks much

SteveK44:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I have not used that particular scope, so am not qualified to answer either way. Nikon does make good stuff. However, the 2 to 7 power Leupold that Wal Mart sells for under 200 bucks would be a good choice of an American scope for an American levergun.

stevek44

Bearcat
It was a tough decision, but I finally settled on the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. It has a 4" eye relief and a super clear field of view that pops right up, for me anyway. I haven't been to the range yet so the verdict won't be in until then. I have talked to a couple guys who have the same scope on their .17's, and are very pleased. So I am optimistic that all will be well. I'll follow up once I get it zeroed in.

SteveK44... :roll:

Check it out - - http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes ... -3-9x40.ht - - Opinions welcome.

C6S1C

Bearcat
I have two Nikon Prostaff's on a couple of Rugers and the optics are excellent. It would make a nice scope on that 96/17. Enjoy !!!