'91 tang safety, brush barrel model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
is there anything special in terms of value for a '91 vintage tang safety model with the shorter brush barrel? oh it's in .270.
and if not anything special i would assume a fair value for one in good shape would be 500.00 or so?

wwb

Hunter
Could it be a chop job? I'm no expert, but I never heard of a short-barreled M77.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Need a little more information. A picture could be helpful. I'm not an expert, but have been a fan of the shorter barrel Rugers.
Ruger made the 77 tang safety models with shorter barrels called the RL and RLS (sights). These had either 20 inch barrels for the RL (no sights) and 18.5 for the RLS. They also made an RSI which had a mannlicher stock and sights. The RL and RLS both had a thinner stock and a black forend tip. The RL had a pencil thin barrel. In 270, the RL is not common, but not rare. The RLS is much harder to find in 270. Ruger made a few other shorter barreled rifles in special runs, but I don't know what calibers. The only one's I have actually seen were in 358 and had a 20.5 inch barrel, but a somewhat slimmer stock but no black forend tip. I've been told that Jerry's had a special run of 358's made for Grices like that.
As far as value. condition makes a big difference. As new in the box with papers will get good money. You will see nice RL's in 06 and 270 on Gunbroker and Guns International with a decent scope for $525. If it's beat up, worn, or has a shortened barrel, then, the price drops like a rock. In some localities, prices are higher and lower depending.
They make great hunting rifles. Don Lewis, a popular Pennsylvania gun writer of the bygone, believed them 'to be the finest whitetail rifle ever made.'
I tend to agree.
Bfly

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
well maybe this is not a brush gun model. barrel length is 21.5" and no black forearm tip. i guess it is a standard tang safety with sites model?

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Sounds like it, The sights are hard to find, although you could probably make do with a No. 1 front sight; same for the rear.
Still a nice gun. The standard model usually goes for less than the RL's. It almost has to be in an odd caliber and great condition to go for more than 500, usually about 10-30% less for standard calibers that are in used condition. The price would probably be lower than a rifle in equal conditiom because the sights are missing. But you never know what someone might just have to have.
Bfly

Latest posts