9.mm plus 5.5 gr of uniquie

Help Support Ruger Forum:

remshooter

Bearcat
i know you need to work up a load ,but right now iam using 5.0 gr of uniquie AND A RCBS 115 GR LEAD RN ,in a ruger P-95 and in future in a glock -19 with lone wolfe barrel . at present p-95 shoots 2 to 3 inchs low with 5.0 gr of uniquie ,i thought if went up to 5.5 gr of uniquie the more vel. might raise the p.o.i , any body using 5.5 gr of uniquie in the 9.mm and 115 gr lead boolit, any problem with that ?,my load data goes to 5.7 gr. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Enigma said:
More velocity should make your gun shoot lower, not higher.
I have found the opposite. The heavier the load, the higher the bullet hits. Might be different with light bullets but I don't shoot light for caliber bullets. I was shooting over the target one day until I realized that I had sighted the gun in with a lighter load the last time. 44 Redhawk. :D

cbass

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Enigma said:
More velocity should make your gun shoot lower, not higher.
I have found the opposite. The heavier the load, the higher the bullet hits. Might be different with light bullets but I don't shoot light for caliber bullets. I was shooting over the target one day until I realized that I had sighted the gun in with a lighter load the last time. 44 Redhawk. :D

This is what I have found to be true too. Lighter loads stay in the barrel longer thus succumbing to the muzzle-flip. Heavier loads leave the barrel faster, not allowing time for the barrel rise to make a difference.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
remshooter said:
any body using 5.5 gr of uniquie in the 9.mm and 115 gr lead boolit, any problem with that ?,my load data goes to 5.7 gr.

Hi,

My record book says I've used 5.5 gr Unique w/ a both a 115 gr RN, copper plated, and a 124 gr cast LRN. I seldom shoot my 9mm at paper, so can't tell you exactly where they shot (in MY gun, anyway) but can tell you these loads would shoot "minute of soda can" out to about 50 yds. For "blasting ammo" they were fine.

Rick C

gatling

Blackhawk
I use 5.0 gr of Unique and a cast 125 gr RN in my Model 59. It shoots to point of aim at 50 feet and 25 yards, and it is the most accurate load I've ever shot in this handgun. I've been using it for about 40 years in this pistol.

600465_10151492237306801_1963781960_n.jpg

1044627_10151492237291801_474918613_n.jpg

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Hammerdown77 said:
That's not a Hi Power!!!

(It's a S&W Model 59)
My bad. Duh, I have a Hi Power in my stable too... What I get for not looking closely enough.

Nice looking firearm just the same. How you like the Smith? I fondled, err, considered one at a gun show last fall but didn't really need a new firearm at that moment.

gatling

Blackhawk
I love it. As I said, I have been shooting my Model 59 for 40 years, and I really enjoy it. I never quite got the fascination with stamped steel and plastic guns (either rifles or handguns). Glocks, Sigs, and even the Ruger 9mms are just not my cup of tea. My Model 59 came with black plastic grips, but I fixed that about 39 years ago.

That 125 gr RN and 5 gr Unique load is the best one I've found. It is completely reliable and accurate. Fairly flat shooting, too.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Great looking gun, Gatling, and superbly cared for as well. And nice job on the grips too; cocobolo? I've looked for a model 39 off and on, for many years after trying a friend's back in the early 70's. I liked its thinner grip profile as I recall, but it's been 40 years since I held one.

Here's a pic of one of S&W's first generation .45 ACPs, a model 745, with refinished grips. Very accurate but a little odd looking for a 1911 user. I think you can see the engineering similarities shared by the two designs. That short trigger looks funny, but fits me to a tee...and note the early Novak type sights as well.

I bought it when they first came out, found that I preferred a 1911, and gave it to my #2 son who carried it daily here on our farm as he did his chores. A good bit of bluing wear, now, but still as accurate as the day it was foaled! It serves as one of his bedside guns to this day.

Best Regards, Rod