9.3 x 74R HELP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coogs

Maximum
OK, took the plunge, just bought a #1 in 9.3 x74R. Always wanted something a little different. At home, I'll be using it primarily for PA black bear. Travels down the road may take me ?????? Need some ideas on a good load, I would say majority of my shots will be<75 yards. Also, best place to mail order shells and components. I ordered two boxes with the rifle, $60.00+ a box, think I'll reload alot on this one. I'm not new at all to
reloading, 35+ years under my belt in that dept. Also, any suggestions on cast bullets? All help is greatly appreciated, God bless, Coogs.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Coogs":sqabcd1w said:
OK, took the plunge, just bought a #1 in 9.3 x74R. Always wanted something a little different. At home, I'll be using it primarily for PA black bear. Travels down the road may take me ?????? Need some ideas on a good load, I would say majority of my shots will be<75 yards. Also, best place to mail order shells and components. I ordered two boxes with the rifle, $60.00+ a box, think I'll reload alot on this one. I'm not new at all to
reloading, 35+ years under my belt in that dept. Also, any suggestions on cast bullets? All help is greatly appreciated, God bless, Coogs.

Weeell, there's one you don't hear about every day. :shock:

Back when I was looking in the late '80s, the only boxer-primed brass was either Norma or RWS and only Barnes and Speer listed jacketed bullets in the proper size (.366) which is kind of an oddball. I'd guess the Speer book would be a place to start looking. I believe Hornady and Nosler may have started loading this, but can't confirm.

Looks like MidwayUSA has brass & bullets:

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/Bro...447&categoryString=9315***652***670***9013***

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/Bro...5&categoryString=9315***652***19785***9016***.

How do I know? Valmet 412S o/u. It's a sickness, and therefore not my fault. :twisted:[/url]

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Nosler and Hornady make .366 bullets too as do some of the more specialized firms like Northfork. I have been shooting the 9.3x62 for a number of years. It is very similar from a ballistics perspective. I used the 250 Barnes X at a bit under 2650 fps in Africa in 2002 and it worked great on the full range of plains game. You might also check out Graf and Sons for ammo and supplies.

Coogs

Maximum
Thank you all. Got an initial ship of componets on the way from Midway. I'll work at it. What research I've done on the caliber shows that it has a wide range of ability something up around the power of the .375 Flanged Mag..........load it down to less than an '06. I don't know where I'll ever end up going with it, as in out of state/country, but I now have a caliber with a wide range of possibilities!!! And besides that, it is in a Ruger #1, Coogs. :mrgreen:

63November

Single-Sixer
I have begun an affair with the same rifle in the past year. It's about perfect in balance as #1s go IMO. Took a nice brownie with mine this fall.

I believe I could easily run this rifle with the 286s from Hornady and Nosler for as long as I am able to use it - without complaint. Varget works well with this weight FWIW.