89 prefix 44 Anniversary Flattops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
Does anyone know how high the 89 prefix 44 flattops went? Also curious what the serial number range would be for the 89 prefix with warning rollmark on the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks

Ron

trapperon

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. If I have my info straight, I believe that the 89 prefix is newport production and the 870 prefix is prescott. I would guess that the 89's with bottom rollmark are more scarce than the barrel side warning.

Would all 870 prefixed revolvers be a bottom warning?

Ron

chet15

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trapperon:
<B>
Thanks guys. If I have my info straight, I believe that the 89 prefix is newport production and the 870 prefix is prescott. I would guess that the 89's with bottom rollmark are more scarce than the barrel side warning.

Would all 870 prefixed revolvers be a bottom warning?

Ron</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The highest 89- prefixed gun I have noted is 89-05053. The last of the production in Newport (parts and all) were transferred to Prescott, Arizona for final manufacture and rollmarking. The highest Newport produced gun I have noted (with rollmark on side of barrel) is 89-03840 and the earliest Prescott produced gun I have down is 89-03929. Looks like there are around 1,200 89- prefixed guns that were finished up at Prescott. Serial numbers 89-00001 to 89-00500 have not been produced.
The 870- prefix was reserved solely for new Prescott production.
Chet15

I have seen 870-00043X. Does this mean there will be no 89-00043X, and perhaps by extension no other 89 prefix guns in the 1-500 range?

trapperon

Blackhawk
Thanks a million. Does this mean that the way to identify a prescott production would be by the warning stamped on the bottom of the barrel, and should it be a 89 prefix, the frame was already serial numbered before it was shipped to Prescott for assembly? Are all single actions out of prescott now?

Somewhat confusing, but interesting!!

ron

chet15

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff in Cincinnati:
I have seen 870-00043X. Does this mean there will be no 89-00043X, and perhaps by extension no other 89 prefix guns in the 1-500 range?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct. I think we lost the 89-00001 to 89-00500 numbers when production was moved to Prescott.
Chet15.

chet15

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trapperon:
<B>Thanks a million. Does this mean that the way to identify a prescott production would be by the warning stamped on the bottom of the barrel, and should it be a 89 prefix, the frame was already serial numbered before it was shipped to Prescott for assembly? Are all single actions out of prescott now?

Somewhat confusing, but interesting!!

ron</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To my knowledge, yes, that is how the Prescott production is identified, by the Warning statement on the bottom of the barrel.
Only the 50th Anniversary .44 Blackhawk is being produced at Prescott at this time. Other SA production is certainly possible there since there is also a Ruger foundry at the Prescott facility.
Chet15.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
With the exception of the S465N-50 factory engraved guns
the 89 prefix (Prescott Guns) are the hardest sub variation
to find!! JMO
Terry
PS I'm still looking :wink: !!

Axehandle

Buckeye
$%#&@! I'm afraid to even go look at the numbers on my pair... I've got one that I picked up just make a Home Boy FT 41.... Sure as I'm sitting here I'll have the odd ones...

89-02296 has the roll mark on the side. 870-03597 has the roll mark on the bottom.. Shooters! PTL! :D

DPris

Buckeye
It was my understanding that the Prescott foundry was closed long ago.
Denis

chet15

Hawkeye
DPris said:
It was my understanding that the Prescott foundry was closed long ago.
Denis

I guess I'm not sure on that. I know the titanium stuff is long gone.
With as much room as that Prescott plant has, you'd think they'd keep on casting their "P" series slides there instead of casting them in Newport and shipping them all the way there, but not sure on that.
Hey....I know somebody I can ask....will get back to you on this.
Chet15

DPris

Buckeye
Chet,
I have an acquaintance who retired from the Prescott plant.
Year or so ago I recall him saying Ruger had shut down the Arizona foundry because it wasn't carrying its weight & wasn't profitable enough to continue on in operation.

Coulda misunderstood, but I don't think so.
Let me know what you find out.
Denis