8 shot 357 Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blindjoedeath

Bearcat
Does anyone know if Ruger has any plans on making these in longer barrel lengths? The 2 3/4" barrel seems a bit short for a gun so stout. I'd love to see a 4" or 5" barrel. Maybe even 7". Maybe they could do a distributors special or something in a longer barrel.

Anyone heard anything?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Making the only barrel length 2-3/4" puzzled me too. I would hope for at least a 4" (or 4.2" these days) or, better, a 5" or 6". I hope Ruger is listening.

I to would doubt their would be many interested in a revolver this large and overbuilt for the 357 with that short a barrel. it would not have any baring on conceal ability or faster firing, but would negate accuracy. I am not interested in any 357 this overbuilt, but if I were it would be fore target use and would only be interested in 4" preferably longer.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'm actually a big fan of the 357mag Redhawks, only because I'm a big fan of converting them to 357/44 B&D Mag. That conversion does benefit from a longer barrel, but it can't be done with an 8 shot.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
wildcatter said:
I too would doubt there would be many interested in a revolver this large and overbuilt for the 357 with that short a barrel. It would not have any bearing on concealability or faster firing, but would negate accuracy. I am not interested in any 357 this overbuilt, but if I were it would be for target use and I would only be interested in 4" preferably longer.

yep

22/45 Fan

Hunter
What this 8-shot .357 Redhawk would be very good at would be the revolver class for Steel Challenge or Falling Plate matches. The greater cylinder capacity and moon-clip ability would make it competitive with the S&W 627 series but not until longer barrels are offered.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
This gun is a perfect home self defense weapon, would love to have one. Don't understand all the negativity.

I am not much for any magnum fer home defense,, this is where to much penetration can be bad,, but I have others in the house I don't want to become victims, 380 9mm 38 special will send the same projectile with enough oomph to penetrate a perp just a few feet away,, and personally I prefer a 45 acp, but I am partial to big holes, that don't travel though walls to others I do care for with good triggers and quick follow up's.

I think I am much better off in a home defense situation with a SP-101 or GP-100, or even the LCR, in the calibers above if you like slow leaks, quicker handling, and tamed down to keep others I love safer, but good penetration on inside the house perp's, personally I like bigger leaks in my uninvited guest's. But what sleeps next to bed is what I really prefer in dark close less than ideal shooting light conditions,,,,,, Most times, just the rack of the action is enough to send any uninvited guest back where they came from,,, and this certainly is not necessary but like you I like more capacity, :wink:
MG_6722.jpg

Then under my pillow if I don't have time to reach fer the 12 ga.
IMG_9788-1.jpg

I just think Ruger would realize mass producing the 8 shot with the snub nose in the Redhawk frame would be a sloooooowwwww seller, compared to offering this large framed small bore to those looking for action and target use with a 5 or so inch barrel is much easier to sell. Personally being bias,, I would opt for one of these,,,, and no, I am not from Texas,,, :wink:
MG_5000.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
This gun is a perfect home self defense weapon, would love to have one. Don't understand all the negativity.
Well, maybe, but offering longer barrel options would make it far more versatile. Not negative about the current version, just suggesting the product line be extended.

we all have likes, and so far, seems they are willing to spread their wings,,,, I remember phone call after phone call fer years being told,, no 5 shot,, and never a 454 or 480 in the Blackhawk's,,,, and they finally got that,, any ways there is always hope!

Blindjoedeath

Bearcat
Well!!! I just saw this 8 shot Redhawk offered in 4 1/4" and 5 1/2" barrels!! On the Ruger website, marked "new". Excellent! Now I know what I'll be saving for.

Thanks, Ruger!!!

biglmbass

Bearcat
I don't need either, but am intrigued by both.

Blindjoedeath said:
Well!!! I just saw this 8 shot Redhawk offered in 4 1/4" and 5 1/2" barrels!! On the Ruger website, marked "new". Excellent! Now I know what I'll be saving for.

Thanks, Ruger!!!

TheDude

Single-Sixer
biglmbass said:
I don't need either, but am intrigued by both.

Blindjoedeath said:

Thanks, Ruger!!!

I haven't needed a gun since 1982...doesn't stop me, or even slow me down. Sometimes I have no idea what i "need" until I get my hands on it! :)

jimd441

Blackhawk
I no longer worry about needing another gun, I rationalize purchases by simply wanting them...

Jim

barrya

Bearcat
LGS got a 4.2 and a 5.5 in late Thursday afternoon. I came in early Friday morning and was the first one to look at them. The 5.5 came home with me. Barry

ditto1958

Blackhawk
barrya said:
LGS got a 4.2 and a 5.5 in late Thursday afternoon. I came in early Friday morning and was the first one to look at them. The 5.5 came home with me. Barry

Congratulations! I assume you will be back in the AM to pick up the 4.2? :)

barrya

Bearcat
You must be a mind reader!! It was a thought, but just a thought. I bet it is already gone. Barry