7mm Partition Bullets by Nosler

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
Can anybody here afford Nosler Partitions at over a buck a bullet? and that is for the mighty .284 140grainer. I used thems and the 175grainers in the 7mm RM to take down the mighty Wapiti for many years and quite successfully but at the prices today I am sure I would never have tried them. If I had a bolt action 7-08 these would be my go to for about anything. My question is, does anybody regard Partition bullets enough to pay the going price, even if they were available, which they are not?

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't buy anything that I feel is overpriced. There is always an alternative... it may not be "perfect", but it will do the job.

J.

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
I use them in a Remington XP 100 and have taken a few deer with excellent results. It's not that I think other bullets wouldn't get the job done, I just like the confidence premium bullets give me. I bought a good supply when the price was not so high. If I had to buy them at today's price, I would probably go with a standard bullet like a Sierra Pro Hunter, IF they were available.

Luckily I have enough stuck away that I don't need to buy any for the rest of my life but the 140 Partitions are what my 7mm-08 lives on and the 150 Partition is the only bullet my 7 Mags have ever seen.

Reactions: JCK

noahmercy

Blackhawk
For decades, the Partition was the gold standard; a bullet that would expand at very low velocity, yet retain enough weight and sectional density to penetrate well even if driven at very high velocity. Nothing has changed, and they are accurate in many firearms. Since they are not a bullet many would use for punching paper, they are worth every penny. How silly would one feel if he spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a hunt and then got one shot at a great animal and it ran off because he tried to save a quarter or two on a bullet and it failed to expand or overexpanded and failed to penetrate to the vitals?

gunzo

Buckeye
Partitions have always been priced about double of cup & core.

I don't plink with them, but hold them in high enough regard to pay for & use them when it really counts.

Chief 101

Hunter
The reason I posted this thread is because I have leftover a couple of hundred of the 140gr Partitions in 7mm and maybe offering them in the Classifieds for sale or trade...

I use them in 7mm rem mag and 7mm wby mag. 150 and 160 grain if elk hunting. As mentioned, they have always been about 2x the cost of normal cup and core bullets. I also load them in .30, .338, .35, and .375 calibers. For practice I use cup and core bullets. But nowadays there are hard to find, and I am trying Barnes and Hornady GX bullets also.

FFguide

Bearcat
I use the Partition 140 gr in my Encore handgun and my wife uses the same in her Ruger M77 rifle with excellent results. For several years I purchased Partitions in several calibers and weights from the outlet store in Bend, OR. These were seconds, which might have tarnished or was an over-run. Never any issues with these bullets. The price was one third to one half of the price at a retailor and I received a 10% military discount. I was lucky and stocked up. Partitions did set the standard in their day, but most reputable manufactures also make a good bullets. I can't remember how Many deer I shot when I was younger with the Remington Core-Lokts in 30-30 with a peep-sight. Those were the simple days.

Chief 101

Hunter
That's the idea Charlie, is to give people who can't normally afford these to have an opportunity to use them.
It turns out that I have only about 160 of these, but, I have about 250 of the 6mm 95 Partitions that I use in my 6mm Rem. These are also good for filling the freezer with Wapiti. Most of those are going to be on the block also...I am waiting for them to become available again to see where the price goes to so I can be fair...

Chief 101

Hunter
I've never had a Partition bullet fail me. How much is that worth???
I do agree Mo but to be fair I have always waited for a good shot and place it where it does the most good...and if you can't do that don't waste your money on premium bullets.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
If I had a 7 mm, I'd be shooting Barnes TTSX. Cheaper than Partition, better weight retention (typically 100%, by all accounts).

Paul B

Hunter
"If I had a 7 mm, I'd be shooting Barnes TTSX. Cheaper than Partition, better weight retention (typically 100%, by all accounts)."

I have 5 rifles in one form of 7MM or another and so far, none of the shoot the TSX or TTSX worth spit. To be totally honest, I haven't tried them yet in the #1B 7MM Rem. Mag. However, in three 7x57s and a .280 Rem., they scatter like buckshot. No bigger as all of them shoot the 150 gr, Nosel into tiny groups.
Paul B.