7mm-300 custom build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Has nothing to do with Rugers so no place else to post this.

This is an interesting video. Rifle custom built for 2000meter+ shooting. :)

Video (approx 30min):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2027&v=bRoLvzy2cTY

Published on Feb 7, 2017
By popular request, Rex reveals the build details on his new custom rifle build. Built by Paul McCoy of PMAC Precision on a Rem 700 long action, this baby is set for for Ultra Long Range precision shooting. A collaborative effort between Paul McCoy, George Banke and Rex, this rifle is chambered in the proprietary 7mm-300 Win Mag. Configured to handle 195 grain Berger bullets, this rifle is built to shoot beyond 2km. Sporting a 27" Betlein MTU barrel in 1:8" twist with a APA Fatbastard Muzzle Brake, this rifle handles like a fluffy kittens cat. The Mirage ULR chassis is designed to eliminate the fulcrum action commonly problematic on conventional stock designs. This chassis recoils straight back into the shoulder so that the shooter is not pushed off-target under recoil. The IOR Valdada 1-piece 20moa steel scope base supports the Trijicon 34mm steel Xtra Duty XX-High rings so that the PA 6-30 DEKA scope is perched perfectly for this application.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
That's a common wildcat, I have one. Many feel the 300wm case has the ideal amount of powder for the high ballistic coefficient, heavier 7mm bullets. Mine shoots great. Is it noticeably better than my 300 wm? No, but it's good. I also have a standard 7mm mag and a 300 RUM. They all shoot good, but the RUM is my "go to" long range rifle............that is until my 338 Edge is finished most likely

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
That's a common wildcat, I have one. Many feel the 300wm case has the ideal amount of powder for the high ballistic coefficient, heavier 7mm bullets. Mine shoots great. Is it noticeably better than my 300 wm? No, but it's good. I also have a standard 7mm mag and a 300 RUM. They all shoot good, but the RUM is my "go to" long range rifle............that is until my 338 Edge is finished most likely

Ya' know, anytime I see or read about a rifle like this I have to wonder what Carlos would have thought about it. :) I didn't know him, but in '73, when I was stationed with a guy who was on the USMC Shooting Team and knew Carlos, he mentioned Carlos fairly often. He invited me to try out for the team, but I never did for family reasons. Wish I had tho, I would have liked to wear that Distinguished Marksman badge. One of my few regrets in life. :(

gtxmonte

Buckeye
A sniper of Hathcocks ability could appreciate any fine rifle. You have to remember that he was a decorated long range match shooter well before he was a sniper. I'm sure he didn't win the Wimbledon Cup and other well known matches with junk equipment. Likely lots better equipment than he was supplied with in Vietnam. He is known for using the M-25 semi auto in 308, the 70 Winchester in 30/06 and 50 cal Browning for various kills. The weapon choice would have depended on the mission and likely range. Would he have jumped at the chance to use some of todays equipment............I am sure he would have. But if you can shoot, you can shoot. The most important piece of equipment is the man behind the trigger