77Target 6.5 creedmoor?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ewalker

Bearcat
I have been looking for one my go to gun shop looked in several places today and it was a no show. I just wander if they are going to do the gold label thing, put it in the catlog put a few out for gun writers to write super reviews on but never really produce any number of them. Has anyone herd anything?

Ewalker

Bearcat
Lol well yeah, from the look I got when I asked about them I started getting that oh no feeling. I would have sworn he looked at gungenie but I could be mistaken.
What do you think of the gun? You have got my undivided attention.
Is yours the target model?
And thank you for your reply .

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If I'm not mistaken Ruger has gone Lean production. When distributors place enough for an order, the guns are made. Eliminates a bunch of warehoused stuff sitting idle.

mattsbox99

Hunter
That is mostly true, although with new calibers or platforms they have to estimate sales and schedule a production run.

Mine is the target model, I like it a lot, although I'm still working on setting it up. I shot 1 box of factory stuff (that was all the store had) and at 100 yards the groups were about an inch, but I haven't shot much and I haven't lapped the barrel yet. I'm still waiting on RCBS dies and some hornady brass I've ordered. I also need a better scope to take advantage of the real potential of this gun.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I bought one a month or two ago - $725.00, ordered by the gun store from a distributor who had 4 of them. Keep poking about, one will materialize. Took me longer to find the dies than the gun, I had to reload my 1st 50 rounds with a 260 Remington seater die and a Hornady 6.5 mm neck sizer die. Finally got the dies from Creedmoor Sports on line.

Ewalker

Bearcat
The shop where I was looking had probably 10 boxes of 120and 140 gr. hornady ammo, started to buy some but I thought I had better get the gun first.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Ewalker":1fwwj7xd said:
The shop where I was looking had probably 10 boxes of 120and 140 gr. hornady ammo, started to buy some but I thought I had better get the gun first.

Hunters Outlet has them for $750.00 and will ship to an FFL.

Ewalker

Bearcat
Well I got one ordered it will be here Friday I hope to pick it up Saturday.I
already bought some ammo (3boxes) Hornaday 120 gr.
Thanks for the help guys.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Ewalker":ldx2atf6 said:
Well I got one ordered it will be here Friday I hope to pick it up Saturday.I already bought some ammo (3boxes) Hornaday 120 gr. Thanks for the help guys.

Good going - got a scope yet? I put a Weaver 36X on mine, the scope mounts were "just enough" high for the scope bell to clear the barrel. Although the trigger was set OK from the factory I did some adjusting and got it down a bit more, no overtravel either. I very much like the 77 Target trigger. I don't know why the 77 Target isn't more popular, I have the 223, 25.06 & 308 plus the Creedmoor and they all give excellent groups.

Ewalker

Bearcat
dfletcher we have the same taste ..almost I have .204,.308,and know the creedmoor. I have a nikon to put on it .The trigger is a big reason that I buy the VT's

Ewalker

Bearcat
Picked it up Saturday am shot a box thru it Saturday afternoon.I was a little disapointed in the overall rifle. The first VT I bought was the .204 when the .204 first came out,and overall (fit finish trigger) is quiet a bit better than my second which is .308. The creedmoor is gonna get ranked third out of three mainly for finish. I like the caliber and the trigger is a little better than the .308 still need to tweek it a little.But there is not a 4 sale sign on any of them.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Ewalker":12q1rlmd said:
Picked it up Saturday am shot a box thru it Saturday afternoon.I was a little disapointed in the overall rifle. The first VT I bought was the .204 when the .204 first came out,and overall (fit finish trigger) is quiet a bit better than my second which is .308. The creedmoor is gonna get ranked third out of three mainly for finish. I like the caliber and the trigger is a little better than the .308 still need to tweek it a little. But there is not a 4 sale sign on any of them.

You have the older 77s with the polished grey finish, yes? My 223 and 25.06 were bought a few years back and have the same, I was disappointed as hell in the "spray paint grey" when I bought the 308 last year & now on the 77 rifles. I can handle it on a target rifle I suppose, but there's no way I'm buying a Hawkeye or RSI or anything else put out by Ruger with that finish.

The trigger should be just as adjustable and I didn't find it any different than the previous 77 targets. I found that some "3 in 1" oil on a small rag or paintbrush rubbed into the surface makes it look much better.

Ewalker

Bearcat
dfletcher that is a pretty good comaprison but this vt was"spray painted " in a sand storm