77R with 19 inch E.R.Shaw barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
I was at my local gunshop yesterday and one of the owners called me to the back of the shop and showed me a medium heavy barreled action that was a 358 win on a ruger 77R action. The barrel was a E.R. Shaw and it was 19 inches long. Some guy had traded it in saying he couldn't take the recoil of the 358 anymore. The stock had been painted green and the owner had sent it off to have the stock refinished. The owner told me to snap the trigger which I did and it was about 3 pounds and broke very clean. He had a box of 358 Win silvertips that the guy let go with the rifle.

Do you think a rifle like this with a refinished stock would be worth $500.00 . I have a mint 77R in 358 win but kinda liked the looks of this one. I would not get rid of mine but I am a sucker for short barreled rifles.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I have a customized Browning BBR with a 21" E.R. Shaw barrel (#3 contour) and I absolutely love it. I also have a 35 Whelen on built on a Mark X mauser action with a Shaw barrel.

I would expect the Ruger you are looking at to be quite accurate.

P1010069.jpg

Canazes9

Bearcat
I'm not certain I understand - is the rifle stock painted now or was it painted and subsequently it has been stripped and refinished? If it was refinished does it look good or at least OK?

David

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
David

The stock is in the process of being stripped and refinished. I have not seen the finished product.

Canazes9

Bearcat
Depending on what the stock looks like when finished, yes, I think it would be worth $500. I wouldn't want to give that for a rifle w/ a poorly finished stock or a stock w/ lots of damage. For an average/decent stock w/ a fresh finish - yes. In fact, I would be interested in looking at it myself if you pass on it....

David