77 MKII dumb question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

saminfl

Bearcat
I bought a used 77 MKII in 30.06 about a year and a half ago. I love the way it shoots and wouldn't trade it for anything. However, when I clean it, the only way I can remove the bolt is to remove the screw holding the bolt stop and the screw. I cannot see how that bolt stop is supposed to move. I emailed Ruger with this question and they replied I might be missing some parts fromk the bolt stop. they sent me the small parts, but the bolt stop is not missing any parts. The manual says to remove the bolt, "Open bolt and pull to the rear while at the same time pivioting open the bolt stop." I cannot get the bolt stop to move in any direction. Can anyone help me with this?

dmazur

Bearcat
I checked the M77 manual and Ruger doesn't provide a picture or illustration showing this, just the language you quoted.

The bolt stop has a grooved front edge. You are supposed to put your L thumb on this and pull "outward" away from the centerline of the rifle. The bolt stop should pivot at the rear. It is spring loaded and has to be held in the open position while you retract the bolt with your R hand. (Assuming this is a R hand rifle...)

If it doesn't pivot, something is wrong. It won't pivot in any other direction, so don't try forcing it down, for example.

saminfl

Bearcat
I got it fixed. The little plunger inside the bolt stop was frozen. I fixed it and it works now.