77 Hawkeye All Weather Ultra Light rebarrel/restock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WoodsQuest

Bearcat
Two years ago I picked up a stainless all weather ultra light hawkeye in .243. Since that time I've moved back north and have been kicking around the idea of rebarreling or reboring/chambering it to .260/6.5 CM, .308, or .338 Federal. If I did this I want to keep the lines of the UL and its 20 inch barrel. I also would replace the plastic stock with a fiberglass stock, probably from Manners.

1) Is it worth it, or should I just leave the UL alone since they are discontinued? Even here in Upstate NY a .243 with the right bullets will get the job done. Just looking for a better all-around cartridge for large game.

2) Who does good Ruger work? If I'm going dump $1k+ into a custom job I want it done right.

Enigma

Hunter
First, from my cursory check, it doesn't appear that Manners offers stocks for the Ruger bolt guns. Second, some gunsmiths - mostly those who build precision rifles (benchrest, tactical, long range hunting, etc.) won't work on Ruger bolt guns. Granted, a lot of smiths will, but I'd be very certain before I go too deep into this project.

For a .260 Remington build, I would definitely use a long action. If you build one on a short action, chances are that you WILL regret it - especially if you handload.

Personally, I would choose a different action for a custom build in any caliber, but that's just me. There is a much, much better selection of aftermarket parts and accessories, and a much broader base of custom gunsmiths who support other actions. I'd leave the UL alone, and enjoy it for what it is.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'd have to agree with Enigma...I'd pick a different action. If I were going to build one tomorrow I'd be using a Weatherby Vanguard action.

WoodsQuest

Bearcat
That's just a Howa 1500 action. I thought about that, but they're made in Japan, not that it really matters, just meh I dunno, Howa's are pretty solid rifles. Same company that made Arisakas if I'm not mistaken.

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
Check with Rick at Extreme Rifle Works for the project
https://www.extremerifleworks.com

Look at MPI for the stock.