77/44 blues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
Just for the record, some think that the early 77/44's had a slower 1 in 38" rifling twist. Not so. The early ones were 1 in 20" twist also, at least my early one was. I checked it.

corgiman

Bearcat
I was disappointed in my 77/44's accuracy, although I had a better experience than you have had. Didn't like the small grip (Ruger grips are a big grip of mine). Two other Rugers have been restocked to give me the grip that fits. Decided didn't care to invest in a stock so sold it.

I have an Encore pistol barrel, ten inch bull, that could give better accuracy, by a bit.

I read in the Nosler Handloading book, in the handgun load section, about the importance of having a good crimp to assure even and complete burning of the power.

From the book,

"Adjust your crimp so that the case mouth is deforming the ridges in the cannelure and biting all the way to the bottom of the groove"

That crimping is necessary, perhaps not sufficient, but it made a difference in my rifle's accuracy.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Otley, I would try some heavier slugs before I did anything else. It could simply be that the fast twist is not getting along with your mid-weight bullets. Beyond that, maybe you can get a new barrel out of Ruger. If you want to exercise that option I would get the process started ASAP given that the rifle may have to go across the pond and Ruger is discontinuing this model.

Edit: just now noticed this thread is from 2012. Hope he got it sorted out.