77/44 Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jr72

Bearcat
Hi, I have recently purchased the newly released 77/44 and it is shooting very poorly- 2 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards/ 5-6 inches at 50 yards with several brands of factory ammo (winchester, federal, hornady). I have tried both a Leupold 2.5 and an NECG peep sight so its not the optics. All I am expecting is a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards. I love this little rifle but wish it would shoot properly. I don't reload and don't intend to. Any ideas?

agoetz2005

Bearcat
play around with the tightness of the action screws.

Check to see if the barrel is free floated

If it has a pressure pad at the tip of the forend, mess with layers of electrical tape to adjust upward pressure.

Lots of stuff can be done.

Just remember. That factory ammo you're shooting is probably loaded with pistol powder with bullets designed for pistol rifling twists.

jr72

Bearcat
O.k, thanks guys. I will try the tape under the barrel for upward pressure and also the LeverEvolution ammo. Will post results.

308dave

Bearcat
I tried to sight in my 6.8 Ranch Rifle without cleaning the barrel when I got it 2 years ago and had a similar experience. I was anxious to try it out and forgot to clean the barrel first. It shoots 2" to 3" groups now at 100 yds and I've killed 3 deer with it in the last 2 seasons.

jr72

Bearcat
Thanks for your advice but I always strip and clean before shooting and after every range session. The ammo used has also been clean-firing, minimizing this as a cause of the problem.

308dave

Bearcat
Just thought I'd throw it out there since it wasn't mentioned in the OP. Happy New Year and welcome to the Forum. The 77/44 is a handy little carbine so I hope you get the problem resolved.

jr72

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome 308dave, I appreciate that all things must be considered.
Well, I tried the tape under the barrel to increase pressure and also creating space between stock and barrel however this has had minimal improvement. How likely is it that the Hornady LeverEvolution will improve the accuracy? Just wondering as I don't know how long it will take to get some of this ammo and given the poor accuracy so far, do you think it will make that much difference?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I can't help much here because I have only tried 2 loads in mine. Factory Winchester white box 240 gr. soft points , shot decent but not great. And I tried some of my loads using a 265 gr. Hornady soft point just under a max charge of 110 and they are awesome! At 25 and 50 they are usually one ragged hole and out at 100 they open up to a couple of inches.

Are you sure the scope was staying put? Has anyone else tried shooting for groups with the rifle? Have you tried more than one scope to rule out a possible problem with your scope? Other than what's been suggested so far I would just keep trying different ammo and different bullet weights till you find one that is satisfactory.

jr72

Bearcat
One thing I have noticed is that the trigger guard is quite springy, that is, the trigger guard is "proud" untill the trigger guard screw is fully screwed in. Would this be effecting the rifle similar to how the middle guard screw can effect the accuracy with the M77 and Hawkeyes?

308dave

Bearcat
I'm afraid I can't help much either, my 77/44 is a S/S bought in 1999. It was very accurate from the get go with Federal 240 Gr. Power- Shok JHP's and I've never had to adjust anything. Mine was originally topped with a Leupold 2.5 also but now wears a 1.5 x 5.

I tend to agree with rugerjunkie - maybe take the scope off, remount it and see what happens. While the scope is off, maybe try the factory iron sights?

jr72

Bearcat
Hey folks, I've had the scope off and on plus tried an NECG peep sight but same performance with both. I believe it might be the rifle. I'm not new to shooting and actually find this carbine pleasant to handle and shoot. I appreciate your answers; there's always something more to learn or consider.

croesus

Bearcat
Have a good friend who had similar problems with his 77/44. The Hornady rounds (leverevolution) made all the difference for him and salvaged what would have been a problem rifle. I can't speak from direct experience, just relating what worked for him. Best of luck. The size and portability are there, hope it shoots for you.

gsxtra

Bearcat
We have 2 of them that we use with NV for hog hunting and they both shoot 1" groups at 50 yds. The gun should for sure shoot better than it is. Keep trying and you will find the problem.
Randy

jr72

Bearcat
Thanks for your answers folks. I'll be picking up some Hornady LeverEvolution and Hornady 200g on Monday. That will then exhaust all the factory brands of 44 available (in New Zealand) that I have tried. Will let you know how it goes.

jr72

Bearcat
Viva the Lever.....evolution that is. This ammunition has made this rifle an accecptable shooter as far as accuracy goes. However this ammo costs a third more than other more common U.S brands of 44 magnum. I am mulling over whether I want to pay this extra cost or whether I should ask my local Ruger dealer to provide a rifle that shoots the standard weight bullet in this calibre. By the way , any idea why this LeverEvolution ammo does what it does? I have heard a few reports that this ammo makes all the difference. Regards, JR.