77/44 accuracy at 100 yards.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
Hi guys.
curious as to what sort of accuracy people are getting out of their 77/44's. I'm getting about 3 inches at 50 yards, very unimpressed. If I got that at 100 I'd still be disappointed but would accept it. 3 inches at 50 is pretty woeful though.
Am I simply expecting to much from this calibre. Read some older posts where some guys claim 2 inches at 100 yards.

Cheers

This, gleaned from a previous thread of the same topic...

Of the three 77/44's I owned, the accuracy on my first one was so dismal that it went back to Ruger, never to be seen again. The 2nd one would shoot any and all loads wonderfully. That's the one I should have kept. My third one, was mediocre with most loads, with the exception of the Hornady LeverEvolution, which it shot quite well.
I think if a guy really spent the time to figure out just what loads his gun really preferred, the 77/44 is really quite a perfect little rifle, for the niche it fills.

WAYNO.

Last edited:
W/O more information about sights, shooting position, ammo choices, and several other common factors, I don't have much to say(which is quite strange for me).

Reactions: JCK

Rum River

Bearcat
I have not yet reloaded for mine as I had some Winchester factory 240gr. jacketed stuff laying around. That ammunition at 100 yards from a good bench will hold a 4" group. This is without a scope, but I am using one of the NECG peep sights and a 1/16" front bead. For those unfamiliar with the NECG sight it mounts into the scope base recesses on the receiver. My eyesight is also a problem, that front bead is somewhat blurred no matter what conditions.

Bottom line, in my case if factory stuff groups that well with no optics I have no doubt I can come up with reloads that shoot better.

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
W/O more information about sights, shooting position, ammo choices, and several other common factors, I don't have much to say(which is quite strange for me).
Fair call.
I was using 240gr jacketed American Eagle, shooting off of a bench rest with rear bag. i am not a great shooter by any stretch, but using the same set up with my 223 I can make clover leaf type holes at 100 yards.
also, I have a 2-7 VX2 Leupold on top.

Wayno, I had read that previous post. Find it hard to believe that Rugers quality control is that varied. I have 4 MK Ruger pistols and love every one of them.
I'll start looking at the common things like floating the barrel etc. I have some bolt shims coming and a Timney trigger sear. Hopefully I'll find something that makes a solid difference.

3" @ 50 isn't all that great BUT it might be as good as it gets with the single ammo option you have available.
Next question: Were the groups spread sort of evenly or a couple close together and one some distance away? Vertical or lateral spread?

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
3" @ 50 isn't all that great BUT it might be as good as it gets with the single ammo option you have available.
Next question: Were the groups spread sort of evenly or a couple close together and one some distance away? Vertical or lateral spread?
Geez. I hope that it isn't as good as it gets. I'll spend some time floating the barrel and making sure everything is right. And I'll try some different ammo, plus I am planning to load for it myself but sourcing powder at the moment is difficult.
The groups were quite evenly spread, although they did seem to be spread more laterally than vertically.

The rifle is new to me, so I will remove it from the stock and clean it thoroughly then retorque it down and make sure the barrel is free floating. Can't see that causing that much inaccuracy though.
Cheers.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
The 77/44 is a tac driver but there is a weird anomaly that must be overcome.

Unless you are firing something super fast like a 180gr pill, the bullet hasn't left the barrel before the recoil effects the shooter and the gun moves. If I remember right the Rem 180's clocked at 2,200fps and the standard 240's like 1600 ? The synthetic version recoils pretty hard.

I wouldn't give up until I got to the bottom of it. I sold all three of my various 77/44's because I didn't wanna shoot 180's and I could not shoot good enough groups off hand to trust it on game. I had to always back up against a tree or brace against a tree and hold with followthrough like a muzzle loader.

I've been through almost every 44 rifle ever made and I settled on a stainless Handi Rifle that drives nails. I also tested MUCHO different flavors of ammo too.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with free floating or trigger. I've handed my rifle to some big old boys and while they were surprised at the recoil, they could contain it better and had better groups then I could.

I've helped at least 10 other people I know with the exact same problem.

So if you can hold her down and keep yourself braced on the bench, you'll shrink those groups enough to sight it in but once you are in the field with it off hand, forget about it.

Last edited:

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
So if you can hold her down and keep yourself braced on the bench, you'll shrink those groups enough to sight it in but once you are in the field with it off hand, forget about it.
Thanks Luchanbach, I will definitely try that next time and see where it shoots. It is a concept I've often wondered about in the past but have always been told it isn't a thing, that was with 308's and the likes. Certainly the idea that the slower bullet has not left the barrel yet makes some sense.

adamhaigh73

Bearcat

The 77/44 is a tac driver but there is a weird anomaly that must be overcome.

Unless you are firing something super fast like a 180gr pill, the bullet hasn't left the barrel before the recoil effects the shooter and the gun moves. If I remember right the Rem 180's clocked at 2,200fps and the standard 240's like 1600 ? The synthetic version recoils pretty hard.

Luchenbach, the more I think about what you have said, the more I believe you are right. I think I need to look harder at my technique and that shooting well set up rifles has made me somewhat lazy.

This guy has some great insight, not saying a muzzle brake is the cure, but certainly muzzle rise with a rifle in a hunting stock is real. Throw that in with a rifle that is sub 6 pound. I bet with some minor rifle tweaks and more mindful recoil control that I can bring the groupings down. I guess a range test is the only way to prove this.
I will report back when I have had more time at the range.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Too lazy to edit the quotes , but you're using a rest and rear bag .

Try a tight sling and a firm hold .

"So if you can hold her down and keep yourself braced on the bench, you'll shrink those groups enough to sight it in but once you are in the field with it off hand, forget about it."
May also be referred to as 'recoil attenuation'. A very big concern for long range hunter/shooters using heavy duty calibers. Even noticeable with lower recoil rounds and light contour barrels.
Shooting my 25/06 @ 300 meters there's an 8-9" difference in impact dependent on whether the fore end is just sitting on the crossed sticks or is held securely into the "V" by my support hand.
I've also seen this issue when zeroing muzzleloaders--slow bullet/heavy recoil produces serious vertical stringing.

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
Shooting my 25/06 @ 300 meters there's an 8-9" difference in impact dependent on whether the fore end is just sitting on the crossed sticks or is held securely into the "V" by my support hand.
Or in other words, I guess more trigger time working out what the gun likes and how to get the best out of it 👍
I think I was expecting the gun to behave on the bench like my much heavier 223 and 308, I'll spend some trigger time on different technique and see what I come up with.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Try the bolt shims and trigger upgrades. They made a huge difference in the accuracy of my 77/44. All of Ruger's 2 piece bolt rifles will benefit from the shim kits. I had a 77/357 before that I sold because of inaccuracy past 50yds or so and before I had found out about the bolt shims.

"Or in other words, I guess more trigger time working out what the gun likes and how to get the best out of it"
Actually, learning and replicating CONSISTENT support and recoil attenuation while shooting.

langenc

Single-Sixer
My 77/44 shoots my reloads quite well. I did shim the bolt. Stock wants to 'lean' to the left at the small end.
Maybe I should contact Ruger.

Im amazed at the price increase since I bought mine in about 2016..probably increased 350 bucks.

The quest to make a gun shoot bullets in tiny groups is fun and at times impossible. Mobuck is right about group changes it's inpack just from different positions. In smallbore matches, I made vertical adjustments after shooting prone/ kneeling to standing. Highpower at 200yd zero changed from sitting to standing. I was a master class shooter in smallbore and expert in highpower with a service rifle. Over many years, I have taken the time to do many experiments with many rifles I have or had.
My bench firing is holding a forearm in front of a rest and butt plate is supported. I got my 1886 win 45-70 using 405 gr bullets loaded at a slow speed somewhere around 1200 ton 1400 fps as I recall. (Due to the guns age) I would need to look up that FPS data to be sure of fps. Rifle has a 20 inch barrel and a rear peep sight. The muzzle always jumps as it has heavy recoil.

Point is in 2016, I was able to fire 100yds from the bench 2 shots touched, 3rd was 2 inches lower. After a few minutes I tried shooting standing. I wanted to copy a hunting position. I shot as my son looked at the target through a scope. First 2 shots were about 1/2 inch apart but 4 inches lower than from the bench. 3rd shot was even lower about 3 more inches, 4th shot was lower by another 7 inches. Those last 2 shots where likely much lower due to the punishing recoil and getting unsteady from standing and holding the rifle. Who knows for sure, but likely was me causing the large group more than the rifle.

Latest posts