77/357 ?’s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

donut757

Blackhawk
I found a used 77/357 locally for what i thought as a fair price, ~$100 cheaper than i could get one new from my searching. The seller kept the factory rings, which i was ok with cause i dont intend to put optics on there. But it did come with 2 extra mags, and it has HI-VIZ sights installed.

I was surprised to see the sights on there becuase i was under the assumption that come with traditional sights, not the hi-viz?

I did not try and test accuracy, but at 45-50 yards bowling pins were not hard to hit. It was blazing hot so i didnt shoot as much as i wanted, but a decent amount mixed .38s and .357s.

What i did find is the fmj .38s i had were no issues loading, but the soft nosd .357 did hang up a little. Has to focus a littlemore on working bolt with those being loaded. While i dont use a bolt gun much, i never hae had issues with any rounds in my Savage 110 that i hunt with every handful of years.

What types of ammo are others shooting in the 77s? i imaginethe .357 and 44s dont differ all too much.

Overall i was very pleasd with the overall feel of the rifle. Seem like it will be a very handy gun to shoot for fun, and have along side to dispatch critters if needed.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I have a 77/357 that also had a problem loading .357 lead round nose, wound up being a bad magazine. Ruger Customer Service sent me a new one for free. Now it will feed anything smoothly.....

413565279.jpg

These are fun guns. I have one in 44, and no issues using many different loads.

First, I would give the chamber a really good cleaning. Then try the 357 ammo before shooting any 38's in it. Next, try all of your magazines with the 357 ammo. If only one has issues it is probably the mag. If all 3 do then it is probably something else. Be a little aggressive (not rough) when running the bolt.

Good luck.

I have the 77/44, and you are limited to a specific overall length for the cartridge. If you handload that can be a factor. Commercially available will probably be within that window. Good luck!
gramps

Jeff Michel

Bearcat
For deer hunting, 180 grain NOE WFN, 12 grains of 2400, sized .359, 50/50 lube. 1470 FPS average.
Plinking, 105 grain Lee SWC 3.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo. Touch at 50 yards, great squirrel/prairie dog load

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
I have used the 140gr FTX on deer. Works really well. No feeding issues. I have been using 150gr XTP handholds. No feeding issues.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
The Hornady rounds are your best bet for hunting and defense. For just plinking if you don't handload, Fiocchi makes a 142 gr. FMJ. that should feed smoothly and not cost too much, about $16 for 50 rnds online. Use ammoseek.com for price comparisons. I would NOT use the Fiocchi rounds in carbines with tubular magazines. The bullet profile has a rounded point that could possibly set off the other rounds in the magazine.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Tallbald

Buckeye
My 77/357 is likely my most favorite rifle. Ever. Mine is scoped with a Walmart sold Leupold 2x7 Rifleman scope in the factory rings. I cast and load my own, and have a new SWC Lee 158 gas check mold to try soon. I use both .38 Special and .357 mag cases without troubles feeding, but to date my slugs are all round nose flat points. I can shoot 3/4 inch 50 yard groups from a rest and everyone in my family enjoys this light, accurate and inexpensive-to-shoot little carbine. After about a dozen rounds the accuracy does fall off but I'm hooping the gas check slugs may help this if it's a leading issue. Trying straight wheel weight lead for a change too soon.
I'm so happy I bought this little rifle on a whim when I was flush with cash after a consignment sale of a safe queen maybe 6 years ago. Sadly, the 77/357 too languished in the safe for a full 1 1/2 years before its first range trip---may the gun spirits forgive me (grin). When it stretched it's legs the first time out of the gate for me I immediately realized I had been missing a lot of fun in a small package.
Last time I saw another 77/357 in the wild it was earlier this year at the range. A fella had had his SBR'ed and threaded, and had fitted his registered home shop made suppressor to it. He had come up with a subsonic heavy lead slug that worked very well in his gun. Snap-pop-bong!! over and over as he tossed the pumpkin sized projectiles down range at the 75 yard line smacking steel plates with a resounding thump. Like me, he said he loaded the home cast slug rounds for a nickel a piece.
If you choose to load your own, like me, you may appreciate the ease of carbide die resizing too.
Good times to you!
Don.