77/22 in .22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I just purchsed a 77/22 in .22 Hornet. I've always wanted a Hornet and love my other 77s. Any comments or advise from the forum on this gun? It has a BSA 6-24 target scope on it, which may be a bit of overkill. I plan to handload. Looks like the gun hasn't been shot much. I got it from the estate of a friend's father and there were 2 1/2 boxes of empties and some reloading dies which look unused.

TDF

Single-Sixer
I've got one I haven't played with a whole lot. I haven't been extremely impressed by the accuracey 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 (Usually closer to 2) but like I said I haven't played with it alot yet. I did have an initial problem that was confusing me. It seemed to shoot into two groups. One at point of aim and another a couple of inches higher and to the right. Took me a while to figure it out but it was due to a poor factory stock inletting job. There was a ridge in the bottom of the stock that the barrel was resting on. Sometimes it would rest to the right of the ridge....sometimes to the left. I sanded that ridge out of there and that fixed the multiple groups problem. Now I just need to play with it some more and develop a load it likes.

TDF

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I have several of the 77's in the size including the 17 HMR, 22Mag, 22 LR, and the 22 Hornet. The rimfires are very accurate with the right ammo. The 17 and 22 Mag will easily put 5 shots inside 1/2 inch at 50 and about 3/4 inch at a 100. The 17 only shoots Hornady ammo good, and the 22 mag only shoots Winchester ammo good.

So far, the hornet has only been fed Remington factory stuff because the gun came with 12 boxes of it. So, I have not reloaded for it yet. With this stuff, it is about 1.25" for 5 shots at a 100.

There are a number of sites that have been saying that some of the new powders are very good with the hornet. One specifically is Lil Gun. Currently, I have 5 hornets or K-hornets, and plan to see if those guys are right.
Let us know how yours shoots and what you load up for it.

:wink:

MADISON

Single-Sixer
The .22 Hornet is not accurate.
I have had 5 .22 Hornets over the last 40 years. Single Shots until the Ruger 77/22-Hornet came along. I could not get smaller groups than 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I tried 9.9 grains of 2400 with a 45 grain bullet. The load's group can be covered with a dime.